Tuesday, July 22, 2008

CrossFit One World W.O.T.D.

Again, going along with the CrossFit Athlete profile that's on the One World site, today's athlete is Will Blaker. He's pictured here with his daughter Gabby and his wife Audrey. Truth be told, I want to say I've worked out with Will maybe once. All I remember was that we were doing the "Filthy Fifty" WOD and he was the only person crazy enough to say, "I've never done the 'Filthy Fifty.' I'm really excited to do this WOD today!" Yeah. Only someone who hasn't done the "Filthy Fifty" would be excited to do it. Sure enough, he totally "beasted" the WOD. Sick! That day Will also confessed to being a total Rocky fan. Hence, he totally knew the songs I put on James's ipod. Kudos goes to anyone who *hearts* Rocky and any music from the films! Congrats to Will on his performance at the CrossFit games.

Warm-up
4 mile run

THREE sets of TEN reps of:
Shoulder Rolls
Overhead Squats
Push-ups
GHD Sit-ups
GHD Back Extensions

WOD: Cindy
Complete as many rounds as you can in 20 minutes of:
5 jumping pull-ups
10 push-ups (on knees)
15 squats

Joanne's Final Count: 11 rounds exactly!

Notes (to myself) about this workout:
I haven't worked out in the past four days. Now for most people, that's no big deal. But for me, whose sanity rests on working out, four days is a long time to not work out. However, I refuse to shoot myself in the foot because I think my left shoulder really needed the rest. I strained it last week by lifting too much weight. I think it was the push press WOD that did me in. Needless to say, to get back into the grind was great.

I started with a 4 mile run. Again, I did the 4:1 pace and was surprised because at the end of my run, I discovered that I did a 12:13 pace. It's my fastest so far and almost an entire minute faster than when I started my running training. I'm a big believer in interval training because I notice that I tend to push the speed towards the last mile or so because I just want the run over and done with.

Also, I *heart* my Nike SportBand. It rocks!

For today's WOD, Eric had me do a different one that what posted on either site. He chose "Cindy" so I could work on my jumping pull-ups and my push-ups. The last time I did a full-on "Cindy" was last year and I did 12 rounds and 11 squats. Though I did only 11 rounds today, I'm confident that every move counted. Majority of my pull-ups were with my chin over the bar. Though I had some difficulty keeping my back tight and planked, my push-ups were much better than before. Of course, my squats were pretty strong. I no longer use the medicine ball and do a full-on squat where I break the 90 degree point. They're hard, but I really feel them. They turn my legs into jell-o.

Overall, I had a great WOD. As per Eric's suggestion, I'm moving my runs to Tues/Thurs mornings and keeping my CrossFit WODs in the evenings. He mentioned that I may be working out too much in a small period of time, so breaking it up AM/PM would be advisable. He's a nurse by trade and has a lot of technical knowledge about exercise and such. So I'll gladly take his advice.

No comments: