Tuesday, July 15, 2008

CrossFit One World W.O.T.D.

This is a total deadlift no-no. When I saw this photo of Chris, my heart bled and my lower back started to ache. Admittedly, I don't know Chris well, but I see him training like a monster! Congrats on CrossFit games!

Warm-up
40 minute run
Push Press Drills

WOD
Push Press 3/3/3/3/3/3/3

Joanne's Final Weight - 45/65/70/75/80/85/90x2/90x2

Notes (to myself) about this workout:
As per Margaret's suggestion, I finally printed out the Nike training schedule for the half marathon in October. I'm a few weeks late for their training, but as long as I follow the program from here on out, I should be fine. Basically, the program outlines two short running days, one long running day, one rest day, and strength/cardio/cross training suggestions for the rest of the week. I think I'm pretty much on target as long as I incorporate more running and start dedicating myself to those long Sunday runs.

For today's run I did interval training where I run for four minutes and walk for one minute. This 4:1 pace is what I used when I did the marathon a few years ago. Surprisingly, today's run was my farthest and fastest, making my pace under 12:30. This is a huge improvement from the 13:00 I usually run. I think something has to be said about interval training. I've decided that long or short, this is the method I'll be using to get me through the running.

I ran at about 5pm, which is a nice time to run because it's not too hot. I firmly believe that there's nothing like running outdoors. The treadmills just don't cut it because you can't simulate the elements. For example, today's run ended hard because I was running against the wind. My pace felt slower and slower and I just had to fight it. Truth be told, I can't stand running, but I like what it does to me and what it means to me. Enough said.

When I first looked at the WOD, I was actually excited to be lifting some heavy pounds. Before today, my max on the push press was 72#. Today I did 90#, but couldn't do the three in a row. 90# was pushing it and I became wobbly. In fact, at my first 90# attempt, I hit my chin against the bar and now I have a busted lip. Poor J-Ro. I thought the push press was one of my stronger lifts, but like everything else, it's something I definitely have to work on. I was hoping I could do all three reps the second time, but I could only pull off two. It's okay. I just have to work harder next time.

As always, a big thank you to Eric and all the other folks who cheered me on during the WOD.

No comments: