Sunday, September 09, 2012

phoenix life

Technically, the phoenix is a mythical bird that symbolizes rebirth and renewal. After some thought, I realized that after finishing the Ph.D., it was only appropriate that lady fate would lead me to Phoenix, Arizona. That's right. I'm currently residing in Phoenix and am lecturing at Arizona State University in the Asian Pacific American Studies Program. Though it's not a tenure-track job, it's an excellent opportunity and I am so lucky to be here. Granted, being away from the people I love has its rough moments. But like the mythical phoenix, my time here is part of my rebirth and renewal. It's a stepping stone to where I need to be. With that, I need to indulge in the process.

A lot has changed in my life. With that, the trajectory of this blog will again, shift. I haven't sorted out the nuts and bolts of it all. For now, the posts fill focus less on health and working out. Instead, you'll see more about me and what's going on in my life. Not that I'm completely brushing off sharing my health adventures with you - I'm just not doing a lot in that area lately. Since we're on that subject, I'll give you the quick and dirty about that part of my life.

Over a year ago, I officially left One World and CrossFit because I re-located from Union City to South San Francisco. From there, I joined Club Genentech and took classes and worked out on my own. It was a good move for me because I was getting frustrated with CrossFit and I thought it was time for me to bow out gracefully. Now that I'm in Phoenix, I decided that I really don't want to deal with the whole gym scene at all. Therefore, I treated myself to P90X (yes, much to the dismay of many CrossFitters... and you wonder why I left). I do that and other at-home exercise routines. You may not realize this, but my first foray in exercise happened at home, using some Kathy Smith exercise tape (the one where you use resistance bands). I used to wait til everyone was asleep and I'd sneak downstairs and exercise by myself. I guess you can say that I'm going back to that. It's not CrossFit (in both positive and negative ways), but I'm actually enjoying it! I'm waiting for this blazing hot weather to cool off so that I can go running again. Rumor has it that by late October, I can develop a running routine that can carry me through the spring time. Wa-hoo!

I know it's been a while. I promise I'll post regularly from here on out. For now, I just wanted to let you know that I'm still alive and well. This blog will live on, its soul is just being re-vamped.

Celebrating EVERYbody,
the fierce fathlete

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Find any good Filipino resturants out there yet?

Shaun

j-ro said...

Hello Shaun,

Do I know you? Either way, introduce yourself please:)

Unfortunately, I haven't explored Filipino food in Phoenix yet. According to yelp, there are a few places and I'm sure I'll check them out soon. For now, I'm all about home cooking:)

Anonymous said...

Well I'm glad you made this step up. What made you wanna move from the east bay to SSF

j-ro said...

Love.

diana.grace said...

Miss J-Ro! I miss you! I am sorry we couldn't coordinate a time to hang out before you went. I am glad you're doing kinda sorta well in Phoenix and I'm looking forward to hearing more. Oooh maybe we can skype date/facetime/google hangout sometime as well?