Monday, August 31, 2009

home made eats

As promised, here are some things I've been cooking up in the kitchen...

I have this new habit... when I'm in a restaurant and I like what I'm eating, I'll go online and look up the recipe. Depending on how complicated the recipe is, I'll give it whirl. This is my attempt at the firecracker pork from Fuzio. It's a dish that begins with some pasta (wheat in my version) topped with a seasoned, slow-cooked pork, habanero cilantro pesto, and sour cream.

I had a bunch of leftover produce from the farmer's market, so I whipped up this concoction with cherry heirloom tomatoes (I literally had about 10 pieces, which is why you can't see them in the photo), spinach, and crimini mushrooms tossed in parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. I then took this mixture, wrapped it in phyllo dough and baked it.

This is the finished product. It's pretty yummy and reminds me of the spinach piadini from Starbucks. I've been having it for breakfast so that I can get my veggies bright and early. For you lumpia lovers, this is a decent substitute. (Okay. Nothing replaces the goodness of fried food. But this works in a healthy pinch.)

In college I developed this gift for making cheap food look good. After watching the silly film The Ramen Girl, I had this terrible craving for ramen. The only ramen joints I know are in San Francisco and Berkeley. Since I was too lazy to drive out there, I just went to the local grocery store and worked my ramen magic. Here is my makeshift ramen with shrimp, mushrooms, and spinach. (Apologies for the smoky finish. It was fresh off the stove when I took this photo.) It's not as yummy as the stuff in San Francisco and Berkeley, but it works in a pinch!

Warm-up
Run 800 meters

CrossFit One World WOD
Back Squat 5/5/5/5/5
Joanne's Final Weight: 115/125/135/145/155

Notes (to myself) about this workout: First off, I just want to say thanks to Bradass for helping me with today's WOD. (Yes. That's him in the photo wearing two pink ribbons.) Even BIGGER THANKS for finding my yoga strap. You totally rock. (Boo to Freddy for throwing it out in the first place!) It was a rest day and time trials are tomorrow. This is why I did the back squat WOD. I pr'd my last max by two pounds. The next time I do this I need to start at 125#-135#. At 155# I felt good and still didn't need a spotter. This tells me that I had way more weight in me. But time was running out and all I cared about was beating my last max, which I did. Next time I do this I'd like to reach the 160-170# range.

No comments: