Monday, August 10, 2009

genius!

This silly photo was taken when we did the back squat WOD last week. I don't know what possessed me to think I could back squat John W. at the end of class. Luckily he made sure I didn't fall flat on my ass (because if I did, I'm sure I would have broken his foot or something). This was the "laugh off that dumb idea" photo op. ha ha.

Tonight I give major KUDOS to John W. In a conversation tonight, he gave me the most BRILLIANT idea! (Alex C., stop laughing!) Apparently, John W. has a penchant for soda and doughnuts. In order to help curb these habits, he makes a deal with himself. He's more than welcome to have all the soda and doughnuts he wants. Thing is, soda costs 100 burpees and doughnuts cost 200 burpees. Yeah. I hate burpees. If the distance between me and doughnut was 200 burpees, you could keep that chocolate French cruller all to yourself, thank you.

This thing that John does has got the fathlete wheels churning. I think I'll do the same thing, but with fried food. I'm more than welcome to have ALL the fried food I want. It's just going to have to cost me 100 burpees. I'm going to enforce this rule for the rest of this month. This should be interesting. I certainly hope it works because I'm sure that my disdain for burpees outweighs my love of fried food. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I've been out of commission for a few days because I took a trip to LA to visit family and friends, and to provide moral support for my nephew Theo, who was competing in a hockey tournament (actually, it was more like a scouting fest for youth hockey). fathlete confession: I'm so not a die hard CrossFitter. Did I bother looking up all the CrossFit places in the El Segundo area? Nope. I did, however, bring workout clothes because I was hoping to sneak in a run. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. I guess I'm more fathlete than CrossFitter. Tear.

Eating this weekend was awful. My cousin doesn't get to eat a lot of Filipino food, and I think I OD'd on the stuff we brought to her. I learned the hard way that my tolerance for meat and rice isn't what it used to be. We got to LA late on Thursday and by Friday night, I needed some salad. I think I ate salad for most of our stay there. The body just needed to regulate (if you know what I mean). fathlete confession: For those of you who have access to my facebook account, please don't let the photos fool you. I don't really eat all those cupcakes. I'd be dead by now if I did. I just think cupcakes are pretty and I like taking photos with them and of them. Really.

Now that I'm back in the bay, I'm trying to commit to better eating habits (hence why I think the burpee rule is GENIUS!). I bought some amazing ingredients for salad (including gorgonzola cheese, figs, mini heirloom tomatoes, avocado, and home made dressing). fathlete confession: I hate salad. In order for me to eat a salad, someone else has to make it. To cope, I try to think of interesting things to put in the salad so I won't think of it as a salad. I also make my own dressing because I'm not keen on most store bought dressings.

Anyway, I'll try to share more food adventures with you. Right now, this week's menu consists of cottage cheese and fruit with sprinklings of almonds for breakfast; hummus and eggs for snacks; couscous/veggie medley with shrimp for lunch/dinner; hearty salad; and I'm trying to concoct my second lunch/dinner meal. I just haven't decided what it would be. Ahem. If any of you want to talk food/cooking or are interested in doing a food exchange with me, let me know. I'm not the greatest cook, but I'm pretty decent.

Warm-up
THREE rounds of:
Run 200 meters
10 squats
10 jumping pull-ups
10 overhead squats with dowel

CrossFit One World WOD: Lizzie
Complete 12/9/6/3 reps for time of:
Power cleans 90#
Ring dips (modified jumping ring dips 2 for 1)

Joanne's Final Time - 10:21

And then... 75 GHD sit-ups

Notes (to myself) about this workout: When I saw this WOD posted, I thought I'd lift in the 80# range. My one rep max on the power clean is 93# and that was a bit of a struggle. In fact, with anything using a shrug, 93# is my achilles heel. I prepped with 85# and I thought I hit my weight. Freddy made me add 5# more. Surprisingly, I could do 90# fine. I think I just need practice. If I could afford it, I'd totally do one of Angela's private sessions. I'm at the point where I need it. Bleh. I hate being a poor grad student!

I'm glad that Freddy let me do the jumping ring dips instead of the box/bar dips. I definitely need to work on my upper body strength. It's such a weakness of mine and I have to start taking it seriously. I tried using the band modification, but I just couldn't steady it out. I think I'll work on it after the WODs.

No comments: