Wednesday, August 26, 2009

another passing

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that facebook is the source of all my current events. I just have a lot on my plate and am lazy. There. I admitted it. Late last night I was scrolling through FB when a friend posted the story about Ted Kennedy's death. So sad. Admittedly, I'm as fascinated by the Kennedy clan as I am with the Marcos and Aquino legacies of the Philippines. Seriously. When Cory passed, I spent the next few days glued to the internet scouting stories and archival video footage. A part of me mourned like I had never imagined a person could mourn for someone she didn't know. I think that mourning came as a harsh reminder for myself and activists all over the world who are concerned about Philippine politics. For better and for worse, I am proud of what Philippine history has to offer with respect to struggle, resistance, and the fight for basic human freedom. Cory's passing reminded me of this. However, there is so much more work to do. My dear friend Nerissa posted this photo on her FB. It was taken in 1983, shortly after her husband Ninoy Aquino was assassinated. As Nerissa describes, this photo illustrates Cory's eloquence, poise, and sadness at a time of tragic loss and when her country needed her the most. I'm most inspired by her address to the U.S. Congress. (You can find it in three parts here, here, and here.)

Now we have the passing of Ted Kennedy. Again, I don't believe in idolatry. But I do believe in paying proper respect. So here it is. My sincerest condolences to those who mourn the loss of "The Lion of the Senate."


Finally, my sincerest apologies for all the heavy stuff. In more fathlete news, here's a New York Times article about 101 salad ideas. Also, here's a story about the Whole Foods boycott. Interesting! Finally, CrossFit Santa Clara posted this site called This is Why You're Fat. Some of the food on there is just... um. just go look for yourself please. Thanks!

In a much lighter note, here's a clip that just cracks me up! Enjoy!


Warm-up
Run 1.1 miles
Stretching
Prep for the WOD

CrossFit One World WOD
Complete 10 rounds for time of:
3 deadlifts 165#
5 push-ups on parallette bar
7 GHD sit-ups

Joanne's Final Time - 14:54

Notes (to myself) about this workout: I actually liked this WOD. Coming in, I thought I would lift about 153#. However, Raz said that I had more in me, so we settled on 165#. It was a good weight. I could have pushed more, but then time becomes a factor. Plus, I still need to work on my deadlift form. Last week I think I did a poor deadlift WOD because my back was shot for a few days. Next time this WOD pops up, I think I'll push it to another 5#-10#. I did the push-ups on the parallette bars because I usually do this weird snake thing when the reps are too high. This bugs Jason K. to no end. Therefore, I've decided to take a few steps back in order to get the push-ups right. fathlete confession: I like GHD sit-ups. I just don't need to do a thousand of them. I was hoping to finish in 18-20 minutes. Eric estimated 15 minutes and he got it right. Wa-hoo!

No comments: