Thursday, June 04, 2009

runnin' the lake

Since today was a designated rest day, I took the liberty to not go to the gym. It's not my usual self to do this because my CrossFit schedule (that I usually hope to follow) is to go from Sunday through Thursday, taking Friday and Saturday off. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. It just depends on what my schedule and my body allow.

I'm seriously considering doing the San Jose Rock n Roll Half Marathon in October with some friends. I try to do one half marathon each year. Last year I did the Nike Women's virtual run. Remember that crazy day I had? I didn't do anything in 2007 or 2006. 2005 was a big running year for me because I did the Maui Marathon, followed by the Nike Women's Half. I don't need to do a half every year, but it's a nice goal.

Today I was in Oakland for my study group and decided that I'd take advantage of being near Lake Merritt and take a run around it. Advice to those of you running with other people: make sure they're not athletic and a foot taller than you. It will make you feel like less of a loser and it will entail less choking of their dust. Seriously. I ended up running today with my study buddy Makana. Here he is:

It's bad enough he's a natural athlete and grew up like he was Sporty Spice. But to run with him was a total joke. His stride itself out does mine by at least a foot. To keep up, he ended up back tracking, making it so that he probably ran closer to four miles because I just couldn't keep up. Plus, he can run without stopping and I had to make two brief stops (mostly because I couldn't figure out where the end line was and I was feeling kind of desperate). And yes, Makana can eat that whole bowl of Korean halo halo without batting an eyelash. He can also run in cotton. COTTON! And he doesn't need body glide or blister shield for his feet. And he doesn't have a crazy "getting ready to workout" routine like yours truly. I hate people like this. To make myself feel better, I will claim that my squat is way better than his.

Okay. Enough hateration.

Warm-up
a short walk to Lake Merritt with random stretching beforehand

CrossFit One World WOD
Note: This was not a CFit WOD. I just decided to run Lake Merrit, which is approximately 3.5 miles.

Joanne's Final Time - 40 some odd minutes

Notes (to myself) about this workout: I need to get into running shape. I'm way better than stopping twice for a 3.5 mile run. Half marathon training here I come...

No comments: