Tuesday, June 30, 2009

food. delicious food.

I usually work on Saturdays and never have enough sense to hit a local farmer's market on a Sunday. Unfortunately, my summer work schedule is pretty light. To cope, I've decided to take advantage of doing things I couldn't normally do, such as go to a Saturday morning farmer's market. Union City has one on Smith Street, not too far from Union Landing that I've gone to the past two weekends. (It's also steps away from my FAVORITE coffee shop, so that just makes for a fantastic Saturday morning!) The first weekend I went to town. Hence the photo above. What can I say? I'm a sucker for fresh produce and all the pretty colors of summer food! (A little fathlete tip: to keep your produce from going bad before you dig in to it, store them in these green bags. I swear by them!)

It had been a while since I've gone to a farmer's market and when I dug into the produce, I nearly kicked myself for not going more often. The flavors and quality are so much better at the farmer's market. Strawberries, white nectarines, and yellow cherries (my summer faves) are in season and the vendors let you taste them before you pick your batch. So yummy! For the record, I'm a huge proponent of the farmer's market. It may be slightly more expensive (depending on where you normally buy your produce), but it's so worth it!

So who's with me on the farmer's market this weekend?

Warm-up
Back Squat Challenge:
5 - 45# back squats
5 - 75# back squats
20 - 90# back squats

Run 800 meters

Three sets of TEN reps:
Samson stretch
Shoulder rolls
Overhead squats
GHD sit-ups
GHD back extensions
Hanging on pull-up bar (Okay. I cheated. So what?!)

prep for the WOD

CrossFit One World WOD
Complete seven rounds for time of:
10 sumo deadlift high pulls
10 bar dips (feet on a box)

Joanne's Final Time - 9:43

Notes (to myself) about this workout: This was a good WOD to do after yesterday's hell. I'm always happy to have Jason K. teaching a class. (See? I didn't forget the kudos!) He knows how to push me - especially when I have no desire to be pushed. Case in point: the bar dips. I NEVER do them on the box. But he wouldn't have it any other way. Surprisingly, I actually like doing them on the box because I do get a better range of motion.

Also, I think I'm slowly making peace with the sumo deadlift high pulls. I typically can't stand them because I feel like my boobs get in the way and I get stuck. However, Jason K. kept prompting, "hips first, then pull!" It made such a difference. The next time we do this, I'm upping the weight by 5-10#.

No comments: