Tuesday, June 02, 2009

suck day

This photo makes me laugh. It's from Saturday's throwdown. John W. and I found some spare time to simply be silly. Seriously. Sometimes all you need is a sense of humor to get you through some of life's bullshit. So here we are doing um, I don't know what. Some version of a sick and twisted WOD? Sure. Er. Um. Not quite. I do know that every now and again John W. likes to do this to me. And I let him. Because who can say no to John W.? ha ha? (This is all tongue-in-cheek, you know? If you are part of the legions of women who go ga-ga over John W., please don't hate.) Oh well, it was fun. I'm sure there are dozens of women who would have killed to be me in this photo. ha ha!

Warm-up
THREE rounds of:
Run 200 meters
10 modified ring dips
10 back extensions

Handstand work
Prep for the WOD (Where I wanted to cry and tear my hair out. Seriously.)

CrossFit One World WOD
Complete as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of:
7 L pull-ups (modified with 7 jumping pull-ups and 7 knees-to-elbows)
7 box jumps 18"
7 wall balls 14#

Joanne's Final Count - 7 rounds with 7 L pull-ups

And then...
Squat challenge:
20 75# back squats

Notes (to myself) about this workout: Truth be told, I was having an off day. A really off day. In fact, I've been feeling a bit useless these days and its manifesting itself at the gym. Now I understand the idea of "train at what you suck at the most." I feel that. But today hit every suck nerve in my body.

My ring dips suck. When I do them, my feet are so close to my body that they nearly touch my ass. That's how weak I am.

Headstands? Er. Um. Did you all not get the bulletin that I kicked Jason K. in the face because I suck at headstands so much?

Then came the box jumps. I decided a few days ago that I would do the red box. During the warm up, I just couldn't get my head into it. I was literally kneeling to the box praying I could jump it.

What about those damn knees-to-elbows? As it stands, this exercise is completely useless to me because it tears my hands apart and just irritates me. It does nothing for my core and is a complete waste of time. There needs to be a more efficient way of conquering these motherf--kers!

I don't mind practicing what I suck at. I just don't like having to deal with them all at once. I suck at a lot of things. I get it. I just don't need it all thrown in my face, really. I'm weak at a lot of the body weight stuff because it reminds me of how heavy I am. Not many people like to be reminded of this and I am definitely not one of those people.

I've also been feeling ugly-and-gross lately. I hate that I'm the only woman in the gym with an abundant supply of sweat glands. I hate that two minutes into the warm-up my first shirt (yes, I double up) is soaking wet and by the end of the warm-up, it looks like I decided to take a dip in the local sweat pool. I hate it. It makes me feel dirty. and fat. and ugly. These aren't feelings I want to have at the gym. When you couple that with me not doing well at the exercises, it just leads me to tears. Bleh. (Okay. I stop with the pity party.)

Thank God we ended with the back squat. Yea. Something I can actually do.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

hey j-ro guess what, your chest? sweats my ass sweats! Not just that I get the cute little butt crack sweat line, and sometimes my pants don't stay on my body and my extremely long butt crack shows. OH, and my hands are rough like a boys, and girl my hair is NEVER in its right place.

But guess what I still like it. And I LOVE that you sweat. Hard work doesnt feel pretty, but girl you look damn sexy doing it :)

cheer up, you are great athlete and improving each day, you are such an inspiration and nothing less.

I love you much.

j-ro said...

Thanks Shannon. You crack me up:)

So are you doing the WOD with us tonight, or what?!

I love you right back;)

Ellen said...

I don't know you, but I think you look fabulous in the photos and I am impressed by how much weight you can handle. I sweat a lot on my butt, and it kinda looks like I wet my pants if I wear anything other than black. (Also, one time I wore black pants that apparently stretched to be very see-through during squats.) Also, my forehead sweat drips into my eyes and my glasses get all foggy. Anyway, I'm sure most people feel more self conscious than they let on.

I think your blog is really interesting, funny, great! I wish I could write like you. I'm a PhD student too in Virginia. I'll be cheering you on throughout your year if you keep posting :)

Ellen

j-ro said...

Hi Ellen,

Thanks for the encouragement. I just checked out your site and um, your hotness excuses your sweat. hee hee! You have an amazing body. I'm jealous!

Good luck on your grad program. What are you studying?

Also, which affiliate do you do CrossFit at?

Anyway, if you're ever in California (the bay area in particular), I hope you and your hubby visit us at One World. We'd love to have you! (Did I mention you can help yourself to a beer after the WOD?)

Hope all is well:)

Ellen said...

Hi Joannne!

Thanks for your note! I'm studying public policy and regional development.

We go to Crossfit Fairfax http://crossfitfairfax.com :)

Donovan would love the post-WOD beer! I am planning to send off a paper for a regional science conference in San Francisco in November, so who knows! Likewise, if you're anywhere near DC, please drop me a line!

j-ro said...

Ooh! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your conference submission. I'd love to meet you and Donovan. I'm not a beer drinker, but I'd be more than happy to crack open a few bottles for the both of you.

Also, if you'll be in SF, I can show you a great place to get tapas and sangria ;)

Again, thanks for your comments and I'll be looking out for your blog as well. Happy CrossFitting!