Tuesday, March 03, 2009

muscling up

This is Freddy's blast from the past photo. Um. Yeah. This was taken back in the pre-CrossFit and tattoo days. I know what you're thinking. Yeah. I didn't know that Freddy used to be a stunt double for Gerardo, the guy who sang "Rico Suave." I agree that being a cop is a more respectable profession now. Ha ha!

Warm-up
Row 5 minutes
10 shoulder rolls
Two rounds of:
Ten jumping pull-ups
10 push-ups on knees

CrossFit One World WOD
There are several options for today's workout:

Option #1-
Complete 30 muscle-ups for time

Option #2-
Complete 60 jumping muscle-ups for time

Option #3
Complete 90 pull-ups an 90 dips (ring or bars) for time

For those of you who don't know what a muscle up is, here's a great intro video:

Achieving the Muscle-up from Patrick Cummings on Vimeo.

Notes (to myself) about this workout: I came into the gym knowing that I didn't want to do this WOD. However, I did want to finally give the muscle up a good shot. As you can see from the video, it's an advanced movement that requires a lot of upper body strength. You basically have to carry your own body weight and um. Yeah. That's not happening.

But I did want to at least understand how to go about doing the muscle up. So I did about twenty minutes of practicing the jumping muscle up. I haven't nailed the movement, but I understand it a lot better. After doing about 40-50 of those bad boys, I decided to run 1.1 miles. And that was my workout.

No comments: