Tuesday, February 23, 2010

health stats

Ah yes. Two things that bring a smile to my face. Red velvet cupcakes and my dear friend John W. This was taken at the Fish Tourney when a small group of us shared the cupcakes that Mikee I. brought. I'd tell you about John W.'s vivd description of the cupcakes... but I like to keep things PG-13 around here. And that is the end of all things smiley (for now).

Yesterday was my doctor appointment. I was anxiously awaiting my test results because I was positive that with the challenge and all, my Ha1c was going to rock! In September, it was the lowest it had ever been at 5.8. I did this without even trying! Ideally, I should be in the mid 5 to mid 6 range. However, as long as I'm somewhere in the 6 range, I should be fine. Sadly, my results came back at 6.7! I don't know how the hell that happened. I was so sure I'd hit the high 5 range again. Gah! Note: All of my other readings are fine and my blood pressure is fantastic!

I've spent the last day or so beating myself up for the bad numbers. They just don't make sense. To get 6.7 while making a conscious effort to change the diet and such is discouraging. Yes. It made me want to eat a cupcake. But I didn't because I figured those suckers were the culprits!

For now, I'm trying to figure out a game plan that works. Exercise is fine. I've been back on primal after having a "loose" week. At this point, all I'm focusing on is the diet. I'm taking another test in May because that will be a better indicator of whether eating primal really works. (Note: The 6.7 could be from eating badly over the holidays and such because it covers Nov-Jan.) I let it be clear to doctor that I want to get off the meds. Right now, I've decided to completely cut the lipitor and focus on taking more fish oils. My cholesterol levels were great - especially considering that I rarely took the lipitor (only 2-3 times per week as opposed to everyday). The doc is also pushing real hard for me to take a flu and H1N1 shot. I'm not doing it. Though the doc and I don't see eye to eye, I have to take a stand some time! At thirty-four, I figure the less s--t in my body, the better. I want food to be my medicine. Also, I feel like I'm taking meds just so that I can handle eating s--t. If eating s--t is causing the problems, I should just train myself to eat better and lay off the meds. Period.

It's tough. I hate being a slave to my body. A slave to the diabetes. There has to be a better way to handle this. Right now, I'm still trying to figure out what works...

Today's Small Victories
1) I did some cookin'!
2) I love my back way more than I love deadlifts.

Warm-up
Row 500 meters

CrossFit One World WOD
Strength:
Deadlift 5 sets x 3 reps @ 80% of your 1 rep max
Note: 80% of my 1 rep max is 204#. Since my back is a little sore, I scaled down to 175#. It was plenty.

Conditioning:
Complete as many rounds as you can in 12 minutes of:
3 clean and jerk @ 65% of your one rep max (63#)
6 pull-ups (modified)
9 Abmat sit-ups.

Joanne's Final Count - 6 + 1 sit-up

Notes (to myself) about this workout: There seems to be some mix-up on the WOD because at the box, I swear the sequence was 3-6-9. On the website, it's 3-7-10. Oh well...

Though it's been almost two months, I still don't like the idea of warming up with heavy weights. I think people who can do well are those who come in early to warm-up or do a class before hand. Heavy lifting without a proper warm-up just isn't safe for my body. These days I've been trying to avoid injury by letting go of my ego and going lighter if need be. Besides, it's not like I'm training for the games or trying to be crowned Miss CrossFit. At the end of the day, it's my body and my workout.

I will say that I do like the strength and conditioning combo. I just need to make adjustments accordingly. (Big thanks to Jerry L. for the talk today.)

Today's WOD was fair. My max on the clean & jerk (to my knowledge) is about 93#. I thought 63# was light, but it does get to you in those later rounds. The squat clean is no joke!

No comments: