Tuesday, March 09, 2010

skinny fat

OMG. It does exist. SKINNY FAT! Yeah. That's right. The Today Show just did a segment called Skinny Fat, where their health expert explains that even though one has a "normal" BMI and looks skinny, you could still have a high body fat percentage and be susceptible to the same health conditions as clinically obese people. That's right. Skinny does not equal healthy!

Not that this is new to me. But that someone actually named the condition skinny fat is fascinating. After some searching, I found this piece on MDA regarding the subject. Here's another article from truestar health. Finally, here is what Newsweek had to say about the matter.

fathlete confession: Knowing that there are skinny fat people warms my heart. That such people will NEVER experience the ridicule and harsh judgement I do because my fat is public and noticeable makes me want to poke someone's eyes out... and that's how screwed up society is...

In other health news, if you're looking for information on the carbohydrate debate, check out this post.

Today's Small Victories
1) I started a day with a 30 minute walk. Despite the endless battle between walking and staying in bed, I'm glad my walking shoes won!
2) I went to the 4pm class when I could have ditched the WOD all together.

Warm-up
Prep for WOD.

CrossFit One World WOD
Tabata row for calories. Rest 5 minutes.

Then, complete 5 rounds for time of:
10 deadlifts at 60% of 1 rep max (I scaled to 145#)
100 jump rope rotations

Joanne's Final Time - 40 calories; 14:53

Notes (to myself) about this workout: I hate jump ropes. I'm glad we had the day off from strength training... sort of. For the tabata row, I did 5 calories through each round. Weird! It was frustrating because the first 10 seconds only got me one calorie. The last four were done in the last ten seconds. Boo! Kudos if that made sense to you.

No comments: