Monday, March 08, 2010

role model

It's International Women's Day. In honor of the holiday, I'd like to introduce you all to Haunani Kay Trask. Here's a snippet of her bio:
Haunani-Kay Trask is a riveting public speaker, indigenous leader, and human rights organizer in her Native land of Hawai‘i. She has spoken at venues across the Pacific, including New Zealand and Australia, in the United States and Canada, in Europe, including at the United Nations in Geneva, the Human Rights forum in Strasbourg, and the Basque country in Spain, and in Africa at the World Conference Against Racism in Durban, South Africa.

For the past twenty years, Trask has enlightened audiences about conditions facing indigenous peoples, including the global struggle for human rights. Described by the San Francisco Examiner as the “radical firebrand, feminist author and native daughter of royal blood who is one of the leaders of a growing sovereignty movement in Hawai‘i,” Trask was ranked one of the top Native leaders in a 2001 poll taken by The Honolulu Advertiser.

Trask has authored four books, including the bestseller, From a Native Daughter: Colonialism and Sovereignty in Hawai‘i. Alice Walker has called the book, “A masterpiece on decolonization,” that is “so powerful, it will change the way you think about Hawai‘i and all the lands seized by force forever.”

Trask's book From A Native Daughter changed my life. It shaped my political and academic thinking and inspired me to take a stand for things I truly believe in. Trask is the embodiment of strength and beauty. This is why I honor her on this day.

Speaking of International Women's day... what the f--k is up with the 7:15pm CrossFit class?! It used to be almost all women (with an occasional visit from Jerry L., Chris L. Alex C., John W., etc.)! Tonight the obscene 7:15 had sixteen people in it! By far, it was the largest class of the day. WTF?! fathlete confession: Okay. I know this is unfair of me. Anyone is free to go to whatever class they want to. But when
your presence interferes with me getting a rack for the back squat and I have to proxy as a human weight rack because none of the guys were gentlemen enough to give up their rack, then we have problems! (insert mad face)

Today's Small Victories
1) Despite the weight rack fiasco, I was still nice! (insert mad face)

Warm-up
Prep for WOD

CrossFit One World WOD
Strength:
Squat 1/1/1 Go for new one rep max!
165/175/190 (PR!)

Conditioning:
Complete 10/9/8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1 reps for time of:
wallballs 10#
jumping pull-ups
burpees.

Joanne's Final Time - 14:50

Notes (to myself) about this workout: Tonight was my first night on the new floor. I'm still adjusting. I think it's a great space, but I miss seeing the krav and BJJ folks. However, I know the expansion is needed. Yes, I acknowledge that for the other programs, the CrossFitters aren't the easiest to deal with. We're loud, pretentious, and take up a lot of space (and I mean that in every way). I was thrown off even more by the size of tonight's class. Sixteen people?! It was double the size it normally is and equipment was scarce. I'm a princess when it comes to that stuff....

I got a new PR on the back squat. I wanted to try to hit 195# or 200#. Unfortunately, time was running out and with 5 people on the same rack, it was hard. (Again, BOO! to the guys who wouldn't give up their racks! Thank you to Jerry L. and rack partner for letting the girls share.) Of course, any WOD with burpees sucks!


Other notes on this weekend's workouts.... On Saturday I took a 30 minute walk around the neighborhood. It's a good way to start the day. On Sunday I ran 5K with Miss Lori.

No comments: