Thursday, January 14, 2010

LBN survival guide: think differently

This is an AMAZING rendition of a classic. I bought it off of itunes and I'm in love with this song again!


Here are two articles of interest. The Triumph of the Size 12s talks about model Crystal Renn, her book Hungry, and how "normal" is the new overweight. Fashion Magazine to Salute Large-Size Women talks about an upcoming issue of V, that is going to feature larger models on their fashion spread. The photos are amazing! fathlete confession: I've always wanted to know what it was like to be a model. My sister once asked me if I was interested in getting into plus size modeling. I thought she was crazy! But I still fantasize about it....
The Fathlete’s Guide to Surviving the Look Better Naked Challenge

Think differently. Stop focusing on all the food you CANNOT have. Spend less time fixating on the cupcakes, rice, pasta, tempura, ice cream, brownies, cookies, bread, lumpia, and other goods that are forbidden. Instead, think of all the crazy delicious things you CAN have. Hello, coconut milk smoothies! Hello chocolate-hazelnut cake! (Yes. You read that right. Robb Wolf has a recipe for it on his blog!) Hello banana-almond ice cream! Think about all the good stuff you’re going to eat and how good that stuff is going to make your body feel.
I’m a die-hard island girl. A Filipina born and raised on Guam, I love Filipino and Chamorro food. I WILL NOT let it go. I firmly believe that the heart of every culture’s cuisine has paleo/primal sensibilities. Living overseas taught me this. Other countries eat paleo/primal without even trying because veggies and fruit are so abundant (and cheap). Though meat is not central, it is definitely eaten as much as it is available and is present in most meals. (Note: If you’re a vegetarian, please stay away from Guam and the Philippines. Such atrocities do not exist there!) With the right tweaking, most ethnic foods can fall within the paleo/primal parameters. Simply put, I just replace rice and other processed carbs with a vegetable source. It’s easier than I thought! If need be, I’ll eat taro and yam. In my head, they’re acceptable and way healthier than rice.

Today's Small Victories
1) I managed to stay paleo while ordering Chinese!

Warm-up
Row 500 meters
Stretching and prep for WOD.

CrossFit One World WOD
Strength:
Bench Press 3/3/3/3/3
83/78/78/78

Overhead Squat 3/3/3
63/63/63

Metcon:
Four rounds for time of:
3 power cleans 63#
6 push or split jerks 63#
9 push-ups

Joanne's Final Time - 5:40

Notes (to myself) about this workout: I'm spent. Period. It wasn't until after the WOD that I realized you're supposed to flop for the clapping push-ups. I hated them so I resorted to regular push-ups. I'm still spent. Bleh.

No comments: