Wednesday, January 06, 2010

LBN survival guide: determine your goals


Terrible 80s video. AMAZING song to have on your ipod!

MDA just did a post called It's a Journey, Not a Race. I recommend that you read it if you need some inspiration for the upcoming challenge.

Big thanks to Alex C. for leading me to Xplore CrossFit's site. They have a few entries of interest:
Food is Fuel, Not Your Friend (um, but I can love food just the same, right?)
I Shouldn't Have to Tell You (this is paleo in a nutshell)
If I Were a Caveman (more paleo info)

Naturally, I'd like to add to the mix of tips and tricks to conquering the challenge. With that, I present to you my first installment of The Fathlete's Guide to Surviving the Look Better Naked Challenge.

Congratulations for taking on the challenge! Take the time to pat yourself on the back. Getting started is the hardest thing to do. Know that taking this first step is an act of bravery. This makes you a true badass! Here's my first tip:

Determine your goals. Long term. Short term. Make them meaningful. Ahem. Looking hot for someone else’s husband or wife in hopes to break up their marriage is not a meaningful goal. However, wanting to keep up with your kids when they’re running around at the park is meaningful. Hoping your success will inspire the rest of your family to get healthy is meaningful. Wanting to fit into your skinny jeans is meaningful enough. Know the difference and determine your goals accordingly. Ideally, you should have long-term and short-term goals. For example, one of my long-term goals is to say good-bye to at least one of my diabetes medications. My short-term goal is to loose fifteen pounds. Create an inspiration board. Engage in a ritual that will force you to look at your inspiration board everyday. (For me, I weigh and measure myself every morning and record it on my calendar. This helps me touch base with the challenge.) This will remind you of why you’re doing this and what is ultimately important to you.

Today's Small Victories
1) I again, said NO to the red velvet cake that was calling my name at my brother's house.
2) I did the freakin' burpees!

Warm-up
Row 1000 meters
Three sets of five burpee box jumps

CrossFit One World WOD: Death By Burpee
Complete as many burpees as possible in 20 minutes.

Joanne's Final Count - 127

Notes (to myself) about this workout: My goal was to do 120 burpees. To do this, I had to do 5-7 burpees per minute. I did 7 burpees for the first 7 rounds. I then did 6 burpees for the rest of the rounds. At round 14, I was ready to go down to 5 burpees per minute, but Shannon and Eric really pushed me to do 6. I kept wanting to drop to 5 reps but before I knew it, I was in the last minute. Admittedly, I'm not sure if what I do could be construed as a bona fide burpee. I think they're more like floppies. But I'll take it.

No comments: