Tuesday, January 12, 2010

LBN survival guide: do your homework

The person who does these videos is a GENIUS! Many thanks to John W. for sending this over. I can't possibly think of why I would remind anyone of the chick in the video. ha ha!


Freddy posted this video. I think it's PURE AWESOMENESS! It's like CrossFit meets my love for all things 80s! It's a fathlete's fantasy made real. Yet another reason why I *heart* Sweden. xoxo!

The Fathlete’s Guide to Surviving the Look Better Naked Challenge

Do your homework. Read a little something or watch a little something on most days that will help you gain a better understanding of good health. This will ensure that health is constantly on your mind. Ultimately, the problem isn’t you. The food system in this country (and most industrialized nations) is pretty crazy! Seriously. Do we really need fast food? Do fast food chains really need to offer “super size” options? Does the girl at Starbucks really have to ask if I want a pastry with my coffee? Does Krispy Kreme really need to give me a fresh, hot-off-the-belt doughnut for FREE?! (Do I really need to be at these places to begin with?!) Does finding fresh produce really have to feel like I’m in the Sahara on a mad scavenger hunt for bottled water?! NO! The more you know about the food industry and its priority in making money (and not making you healthy), the easier it is to make better food choices. After arming myself with some knowledge, I decided that I've had enough. Eating is a political act. I would like to make my voice is loud and clear.
I recommend watching: Food Inc., Supersize Me, and any other well-done food documentary. I recommend reading anything that Michael Pollan has written. I’m also a fan of Mark Sisson’s The Primal Blueprint. I hear good things about The Vegetarian Myth. If that doesn’t work, visit websites by Robb Wolf and Mark Sisson. Yes, even visit MY website! I’m not a health expert, but I’m smart, sassy and funny as all hell!

Today's Small Victories
1) Is it me or am I totally rockin' it out in the kitchen?! Yeah!

CrossFit One World WOD
Strength:
Deadlift 75% of your one rep max 5(reps) x 3 (sets).
My lift sequence: 95x10 / 135x8 / 165x6 / 195x5 (this last sequence repeated three times)
We were supposed to do a max rep in pull-ups. I did them with the blue band and assistance from Roya. I got in 10 reps. I suck at pull-ups! With the band I can't get near the bar, let alone over it! Bleh!

Metcon:
Complete five rounds for time of 5 handstand push-ups (modified)/15 knees to elbows/200m run
Joanne's Final Time - 12:00

Some post-WOD ab work.

Notes (to myself) about this workout: I'm spent and I need to do more pull-up work. Kudos to me for getting 12 in a row on the knees-to-elbows. Woot!

1 comment:

j-ro said...

Thanks Maria! Are you doing the challenge too? Please let me know:)

Yes. I agree. That was EVIL of Chong to make you do that. I'm going to have Mel handle him so that he won't inflict such pain on the innocent!