Tuesday, July 07, 2009

she's not a machine!


I have bittersweet feelings about the film Rocky IV. It's a slightly tragic story that I don't really want to share for now. On most days, I live and die for the soundtrack. In fact, I have some tracks on my shuffle right now!

My favorite scene is in the video posted above. It's in the final fight when Rocky finally clocks Drago. Rocky's coach points out that Drago can bleed. He is a man, and not a machine. This serves as a turning point in the match.

If you really know me, you'd know that I'm not big on idolatry. Adoration, yes. Idolatry, no. No one is perfect. Everyone has her/his flaws, issues, weaknesses. Everyone bleeds. Everyone's shit stinks. It is a very academic thing to walk through the world thinking yours doesn't.

I'm not this kind of academic. In fact, I'm not this kind of person.

Every now and again I'll meet someone who knows my work and treats me like I'm something special. I'm always flattered, but I always demystify any illusions people have of me by letting them know that I really am nothing special. Like you, my s--t is no bed of roses. I bleed like Ivan Drago.

I bring this up because the CrossFit Games are happening this weekend and like me, everyone is pumped up for the affiliate challenge. I can't wait to see how Cheryl T., Jamie P., Freddy C., Will B., Chong T., and Brian G. are going to do. I have complete faith in knowing that they're going to rock it out! Our Queen Bee, Jolie will also compete in the women's division. The games are nothing like we've ever seen before. The competition is high and it's global. I can't wait!

Anyway.... CrossFit and One World have come a long way in a short time. I remember when Jolie first came to the gym. At the time she was the only female who could do an full-on pull-up. Everyone else had to do jumping pull-ups. Now look at where we're at! Not that I don't respect Jolie, because I do. In CrossFit (and in life), we have to remember that everyone bleeds. Everyone had to learn to crawl before they learned to walk. There are no short cuts and no matter how good you are, someone will always be better than you. It is my firm belief that a true CrossFitter competes with him/herself. Everyone else is just keeping you good company.

With that, I wanted to share this photo with you:
Jolie wasn't always the badass that she is today. In fact, I think that even she will tell you that she has a lot to work on. If she said otherwise, I don't think she'd be a true athlete or CrossFitter. In this photo, she is doing a modified handstand push-up. Today, I'm sure she can crank these things out (non-modified) with her eyes closed, and while eating a burger. My point is, she started somewhere. We all do. Somewhere on the One World site, there's also a photo like this of super-stud Chong T. Believe it our not, he couldn't do the handstand push-up without modification either! Again, everyone starts with the crawl.

So do I.
And so do you.
None of us are machines.

Warm-up
Jump roping
Run 400 meters
Stretching

CrossFit One World WOD: R.I.P. Daisy
Complete 3 rounds for time of:

Run 400m with bumper plate 25#
25 Squats with bumper plate
25 Push-ups with bumper plate
25 Walking Lunge Steps with bumper plate
25 Sit-ups with bumper plate

Joanne's Final Time - 30:01

Notes (to myself) about this workout: I wasn't looking forward to this, but I was curious how I could do. Could I do this with the rx'd weight or did I need to modify like I did here and here? Well, Lara lit a fire under my butt and wrote that she would bet that I could kill my last times. I (along with a nudge from Eric) then decided I'd go for broke and use the 25# plate. It was hard work, but it was worth it. I beat my 15# time by less than a minute. Plus, I survived Daisy. There's no better feeling that that.

I'm really happy with tonight. I just wish that my push-ups with the weight was better. I feel like I pantied out because I didn't touch the ground while doing it. I went as far as I could go and that was that. My lunge steps (for the first time) were totally legit with knees touching the floor. Everything else, I thought was great. Again, I'm happy.

I really want to give some BIG KUDOS to tonight's obscene 7:15. Everyone rocked. Everyone pushed their limit. I especially want to give props to Lori and Settie for using the rx'd weights, and to Jerry L. for totally hanging in there. You all really inspired me tonight. It was fantastic!

2 comments:

Animae said...

You. Are. So. Awesome.

j-ro said...

Thanks. I think you're pretty cool too:)