Wednesday, July 15, 2009

flashback photo

I can't believe it's been over a year since I lived overseas. Last year I lived in the Philippines for three months to conduct research for my dissertation. Currently, I'm putting all that research to work as I continue to write write write. This photo was taken during my eight day break to Guam. While there, I decided to walk a 5K race in the island's capital. With me are my cousin's wife Sol (who ran the race), my cousin Dodie (who walked it with me) and their daughter Mari-Dee. It was a great way to get some exercise and explore. I wasn't exactly in the greatest shape of my life (the sweltering Philippine heat just made the idea of working out pointless) and prior to leaving the country, I was a more off-than-on CrossFitter. Though I've been at the box since it opened, I will say that my interest in CrossFit was renewed when I got back last year. Admittedly, I owe many thanks to Eric G. (yes, even for all the shit I give him) because he really pushed me to show up and get my shit together. Though I've been around, there's a lot about CrossFit that still feels new to me. Maybe I've been feeling nostalgic these days. It's just that again, I keep wondering what was going on in my head when I took this photo and why wasn't I taking care of my health? What does it take for someone to stick to a bona fide exercise program? Oh well. I guess we all falter. That's okay. We just have to learn to get back up again.

Warm-up
Run 1.1 miles
Stretching
Prep for the WOD

CrossFit One World WOD
Complete seven rounds for time of:
7 jumping pull-ups
7 knees to elbows
200m run

Joanne's Final Time - 17:05

Notes (to myself) about this workout: When I saw this posted I was a little nervous because I'm horrific on anything that has to do with a pull-up bar. While facebooking, Chris L. kindly reminded me that there are 98 hanging movements in this WOD, which means that your hands are going to be totally f--ked up at the end. Yeah. Thanks Chris L.!

Luckily, I think I'm getting better at this stuff. Chris L. and Alison advised that I try to focus on gripping with my fingers as opposed to using my entire hand. That way, I won't get those awful CrossFit hands that people usually get. Granted, tears are inevitable. But if you can find ways to lessen them, then great! (Ooh! I also discovered that chalking the bar, not your hands works better at helping me keep the grip.)

I was happy with how I did on this WOD because I felt my jumping pull-ups were much stronger than usual. At the end of a WOD like this, I usually panty out and don't pay attention to getting my chin over the bar - even with the jumping modification. Today I finally realized what a legit jumping pull-up needs. There's a little tug that I need to remember (for lack of a better way to describe it). What surprised me was being able to hang with a modified knees-to-elbows. Just a month ago I couldn't hang on the bar to lift my legs, let alone attempt a feeble knee-to-elbow. I still have a ways to go with respect to getting my knees to touch my elbows. But to actually hang there and get some kind of lift was a small victory for me. In fact, I can actually hang on to the bar and do a little kipping swing. With a little more practice, I think I'll be on my way to my first pull-up. Wa-hoo!

Small victories are important because they remind you of your progress. Again, last month, I remember just slipping from the bar seconds after trying to grip it. Yea. Though my hands aren't that pretty, I had a great day at the box.

No comments: