Monday, July 27, 2009

Happy Bday Bradass!

I just wanted to wish a very happy birthday to our very own Bradass. It doesn't take a genius to know how awesome he is. I swear, when I'm in the 50+ club, I'd be lucky to be half as fit as Brad. I hope you had an amazing day (even though you got suck teaching all night).

I befriended CrossFit Unlimited on Facebook and they posted this article on the cost of poor nutrition. Now this is something that I can agree with and relate to. I like the article because it focuses less on the organic/free-range debate and basically states that eating out costs money in the long run. If you just take a little time to prep your meals, you're health and wallet are better off. (Also, eating well will lead to less money spent on prescription meds. Wa-hoo!)

As a grad student on a budget, I'm all about eating in. It helps me refine my cooking skills and gives me a better understanding of what I can actually eat, what I can pack, and what I enjoy. It also makes it easier to entice friends to come over and eat because each week I create a meal plan. Part of the plan is to always share food. In addition, I have an old blue lunch bag that I use to pack food and I find that ice packs are handy when I have cold things like salad and fruit to store. I'm a big fan of ziploc containers. Recently, I discovered these bad boys. Feel free to give any of these things a try and let me know how you like them. Also, enjoy the article!

Warm-up
30 GHD sit-ups (slow)
30 GHD back extensions (slow)
hanging on the pull-up bars

Run 400 meters
Prep for WOD

CrossFit One World WOD
Complete as many rounds as you can in fifteen minutes of:
10 Thrusters 53#
10 Barbell walking lunge steps 53#

Joanne's Final Tally - 6 rounds + 10 thrusters
(To put these numbers in perspective, I did 70 thrusters and 60 walking lunge steps total, using a 53# weight. That's a lot for my gluteus maximus to take.)

Notes (to myself) about this workout: This WOD was every bit of EVIL as I thought it would be. Again, karma will be paying a lovely visit to Chong soon. Believe me, Chong. She's a bitch!

When I saw this WOD posted, I aimed for four rounds, five rounds being a gift. I also knew that I had to scale down the weight. Not a lot of women did the rx'd 65#. I thought 53# was perfect for me. To end with six rounds and ten thrusters was pure joy.

All I can really say about this WOD is it's one of those that creeps up on you. Round one was fine. Round two was tougher. Round three had me dividing the thrusters in a 6/4 format. I did that for the duration of the WOD. The biggest challenge was the lunge steps because we've just never done a weighted lunge step like that before. Right now I'm feeling the WOD in my shoulders. Damn thrusters.

I hope to hell that you can bounce a quarter off my ass after tonight's WOD!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey J-ro,

Great job on the thruster-lunges. Like you, I had trouble with the lunge step. But you're right: we now have asses of steel!!

Love your blog.

-Mary the Evil Twin

j-ro said...

Thanks Mary!

Yeah. That was a tough WOD. My butt is still recovering.

No one ever said having an ass of steel was easy. ha ha!

j-ro said...

Yes. Chong is making MY butt hurt... but not in that "hurts so good" way that Jason K. makes YOUR butt hurt. ha ha!

Where were you last night? Class was filled with a bunch of guys and YOU weren't there! For shame! See you at the box!