Saturday, August 02, 2008

saturday training day

I just wanted to pay homage to the 2005 Runbutan crew. You guys rock!

Today I had get up really early to do a six mile run. Technically, I only had to do 5 miles, but I mis-marked my training calendar. I had to work at Valley Fair today, but I also had to get in the mileage. An early morning run with Miss Margaret seemed to do the trick. Technically speaking, this was my first long run of the training. Bad Joanne!

So Margaret and all these other sports folk go on and on about the "endorphin rush" one gets when working out. In truth, I really don't know what that feels like. I think it's because on the uber-long marathon runs, I always felt a range of emotions - joy, pain, misery, concern, elation. I could never tell when or if the endorphins were kicking in. In truth, I still don't know what those suckers feel like. But I will say that today's run was great.

I did over six miles and averaged a 12:54 mile. It's slow, but steady. Also, the run just felt plain good. I wasn't suffering, I wasn't struggling. It wasn't easy, it was just right. I really like the interval pace I take. Also, it gave me a good sense of what the Human Race was going to be like because it's around the same mileage.

I've been using Blister Shield and my new Nike socks that have compression on the arches and have a designated left and right sock. It seems to be working because I haven't had any blisters yet. I'll keep you posted when the higher mileage kicks in. For now, I'm glad I had a great run. I'm feeling good these days. Really good.

No comments: