Sunday, August 17, 2008

training on vay-cay

"My what BIG BALLS you have!" says Little Red Riding Hood. The big bad wolf responds, "Better to _____ you with my dear!"

So I missed my shot to caption this when Freddy posted it on the One World site. But this was my contender. I think I did a pretty good job. On a more serious note, this photo is of one of our members doing weighted pull-ups. Rumor has it that it's Roman. Um, don't you think the weighted vest would have been much easier?! I train with those kettle bells. Now, I don't know if I even want to touch them. Ew! ha ha ha!

Anyway... the real point of this whole rant was training while on vay-cay. Truth is, for as much as I prepared for training, I didn't do much of it. I was mostly working and mostly recovering. I did manage to do as much walking as I could. In the LA heat, that's a total accomplishment. When in San Diego, I did sneak in a walk at the beach in Coronado. I probably shouldn't count it since Mae and I stopped in the middle to have drinks. Um, but I still want to count it as some form of physical activity. I didn't have a car while in LA, so yes, I did walk to various locations when I couldn't be driven around. The rumors are true. Nobody walks in LA (unless they're visiting from the bay). The one thing I did manage was to take a Zumba class with Mae at the Heartbeat House in LA. That was hard. Fun, but hard. Oh what I would do if there was a Heartbeat House nearby. I'd go crazy! I think when running season is over, I'm going to sign up to take a Zumba class near my sister's house. I'm a sucker for dance. Really, I am. I secretly like to shake my ass to loud dance music while sweating some poundage away. Really. I do. No joke.

Anyway, I did my best to train while on vay-cay. I could have done better, but I refuse to kick myself for not doing more running.

On another note, I ran seven miles today. It took me about 94 minutes to finish. My pace was 13:23 per mile. I made the mistake of starting the run after 7pm. It was dark during the last half hour or so - totally dangerous because I didn't have reflective clothing (except what was on my shoes). Also, running under the bridges in complete darkness isn't safe. You don't know what you're stepping on and you don't know what's lurking around you - people, animals, etc. My krav maga senses kicked in, but I was still concerned. Lesson learned.

Other than that, the run was pretty good considering I didn't do any maintenance runs. I actually like running in the late afternoon/early evening while the sun is out because it's much cooler. Also, I decided to opt out of the sunscreen because the sun was down and I really wanted my skin to breathe. I rarely do this, but I thought it was okay just this once. Also, I didn't have my usual sunscreen on hand. I took a different route and was happy to find that the trail was much longer, making it possible to go the full seven miles.

The mistake I made was I didn't stretch after the run. Bad Joanne! I'll be paying for it tomorrow.

No comments: