Friday, August 29, 2008

running for the human race


This is the Amazing Caroline Barnes (ACB). Unfortunately, she no longer trains at One World because she lives pretty far from here. I miss her energy and her laughter. My most memorable ACB moment was when I was struggling with a WOD and she came out looking for me during the final 800 meter run. She ran the rest of the way with me to keep me company. Now that's how a trooper helps a fathlete finish!

I know I said I was going to run four miles yesterday. Thing is, I was just tired. These days, I'm trying to give my body what it needs. If it needs rest, then so be it. I was extremely productive though, devouring two books and getting some transcribing done. Even I amaze myself sometimes!

Today I skipped yoga and belly dance to get in the 4 miles I missed. It was a hard run and I had a 12:50 pace. This is the part of the training that gets hard. Though the Human Race is only 6.2 miles, I have to complete 8 miles to be on par with my half marathon training. I'll do it because that's just the trooper I am.

Today's run was hard because the weather was so damn hot. I started to walk it, but when Margaret decided to run it, I thought I'd suck it up and do it. It was hard, but I did it. And I'm glad I did it.

You may have noticed that I re-vamped the blog. After some deep thought and conversation, I decided to reclaim my identity as a fathlete (yeah, read the side bar). At this age and point in my life, I'm just tired of hating my body - especially considering what I put it through day in and day out. (Do I really need to loathe a body that will do 112 burpees one day and 70 burpees the next? NO!) So here's to my new quest to, as Don Miguel Ruiz would say, honor my physical body. Cheers to those who are brave enough to join me in this quest.

1 comment:

shirlnutkin said...

awesome! don't forget to let us know how your human race experience went! (p.s. glad to see mention of don miguel ruiz)