Tuesday, June 17, 2008

decisions, decisions!

I've decided that the whole giving up red meat thing just isn't going to work. Sorry Oprah. You're on your own with that one. Though I enjoy the discipline involved in doing something like that, I just don't like the idea of being forbidden to have something. I liked my no fried food challenge and that's that. In fact, I may do that soon.

Right now, I'm doing this as my next 30 day challenge: keep a food journal. I'm starting today. 30 days of keeping a no-holds-barred completely honest food journal. That's my challenge. Studies state that food journals really help people make better food choices because they have to write those choices down and confront them head on. I think this is what I need and it's what's gonna help me get back on track. In my journal I'm also recording the time so that I have a better understanding of how much time passes in between meals and at what times I tend to get hungrier. Right now, it's the late afternoon, right before dinner that I tend to have the munchies.

I decided to commit to a food journal because I just haven't been feeling good lately. I've been feeling completely off balance. I'll have a light breakfast, a way heavy lunch and then a late dinner. This just doesn't work for me. This is where I begin to miss the Philippines because good eating habits are automatically built into the lifestyle there, where they eat 5-6 small meals per day. There, you have to do it because the heat. You need your energy. I think it's the heat.

Naturally, I have some personal goals to go along with my journal. Here it goes...
My ultimate goal is to have 6 servings of fruit/veggies a day. Broken down, that's one fruit and one veggie per meal. I think it's doable. I'd like to have 3 servings of dairy per day. That can be a meal or snack thing. Again, with the right grocery shopping, it's totally doable. I'd also like to cut down on the fried food and the carbs like bread and such. Again, totally doable. Following these simple guidelines will help me out tremendously. Wish me luck!

I've been trying to incorporate a salad and a fruit for dessert at lunch and dinner. So far so good. Then again, it's only been a day.

Another thing I've been trying to get back into is consistently working out. I ran three miles today. Not bad. Tomorrow is CrossFit and yoga. I'm committing. I unpacked my gym clothes so I have no excuses. Gym, here I come!

No comments: