Tuesday, June 03, 2008

CrossFit One World W.O.T.D.

Warm-up
I arrived early and ran 800 meters to warm up. Austin was teaching, so he had his own specialized warm-up, which I loved. It basically went over running technique, stretching, etc.

WOD
Complete five rounds for time of:
Run 400m
Row 500m

Notes (to myself) about this workout:
I got spanked. Period. I've never not finished a WOD. EVER! The only exception was when I sprained my ankle. That's it. I don't know what happened. I did three rounds in 20:58. Just to give you a picture of how slow that is, most athletic types finished the WOD in that or less time. Boo! This tells me that getting back in CrossFit shape is going to take a while. I just have to be patient.

I've never taken a class with Austin, so it was good to have him there. I like it when people give you technical instructions and things. Every little bit helps. I'm also happy he was so forgiving with my poor performance.

After talking with a few people, including my chiropractor, I realized that though I had the determination to finish, I just didn't have the stamina to do so. My body felt so heavy after the first round. My legs felt as heavy as bricks and I was sucking air. I now know that I was dehydrated and needed food and water in my system. (Stupidly, I went to the gym without eating breakfast or drinking water.) I decided to throw in the towel after the third round because I started to shake and my hammies started to cramp. Though disappointed, I needed to feel this in order to learn that nutrition and hydration is important for basic body function. I'm back in the US and the lifestyle here isn't as conducive to healthy eating as it is in the Philippines. I need to adjust.

OWMA Quotable Quote
Austin: Damn! I need to get a tan. I'm so white!
Joanne: Yeah. You do.


Notes (to myself) about the Challenge:
This is tougher than I thought because I simply forget that I'm not allowed to eat red meat. It restarts again tomorrow.

No comments: