Thursday, December 03, 2009

wish list

One week from today I turn the big 3-4. As a kid I used to hate having my bday so close to Christmas because it meant that people only gave you one gift! (Ahem. We're talking about me being a kid here!) It also meant that your bday wishes were delayed until Christmas. I just sucks.

Now that I'm older, I actually like having my bday, Christmas, and New Year's so close because it's a time of reflection for me. But I'll spare those mushy details...

Today I'm going to post a fathlete's wish list 2009. Please don't take it as a list of things I expect to have on my bday or Christmas. Rather, think of it as a great holiday gift giving guide in case you're looking for ideas and such. Enjoy!

1) WORLD PEACE. You didn't think I was shallow, did you?

2) GIFT CARDS. I know this is debatable. A lot of people I know can't stand gift cards because they feel it's not personal. I completely understand. However, as a struggling grad student, gift cards to me are the BEST gift ever! They're the gift that keeps on giving! My favorites are: itunes (this is the most under-rated of all gift cards; itunes gift cards rock my world!), Target, Costco, Nike, Macys and Nordstrom. Some other ones I recommend are: lululemon, lucy, and lucky.

3) KNIFE SET. I'm big on cooking and I've been dreaming of this set or this set for a while. Santoku knives are amazing!

4) FOOD SAVER. I think this makes a great gift. The original one is a bit expensive and bulky. But if you get the handheld sealer that works with their bags, I think it's perfect and affordable!

5) GREEN PRODUCTS. I'm all about saving the environment. In particular, I'm all about steel water bottles. I love this insulated kleen kanteen 12 oz bottle with the loop cap. I'd like to have one for my purse. Now if only I could find a place that sells them!

6) RED PRODUCTS. If you're going to give a gift, how about making it a double with a charity item?

7) TEA! Recently, I decided to switch from coffee to tea. I'm in love with Teavana teas. Personally, I prefer white and green teas. I'm not high on all their other ones. My body is liking the switch so far.

8) BOOKS. For the health nut on your list, The Primal Blueprint. I already ordered mine and am waiting for it to come in. I'm a nerd, so books are always a great gift. I know a lot of people (including me) have wish lists on amazon, so check it out for your friends and loved ones.

9) SKINS. This is on my fantasy wish list. I've been eyeing the long tights since the CrossFit games in July. I wear a size large and prefer the ones in all black in case any of you wanted to play my santa-sugar-daddy (or mama).

I'm sure there's a lot more to the list. I'll add as I see fit. However, I hope this works out for you and that this give you some great gift giving ideas for the holiday season!

Warm-up
Row 1000 meters (I finished in under 5 minutes and I wasn't even trying. Woot!)
Jump rope work (I still suck!)

CrossFit One World WOD
Complete five rounds for time of:
20 wall balls 14#
15 box jumps 12"
10 knees to elbows
5 burpees

Joanne's Final Time - 24:42

Notes (to myself) about this workout: I was seriously considering not coming in tonight. However, I've been feeling a little chubby lately and decided to just bite the bullet and do it! Er. Um. I was the only one who showed up to class. That's fine. I think I'd rather be the only one than be stuck with forty other people fighting over equipment.

I was really proud of me tonight. I rx'd the wall balls, but didn't exactly hit the grey square. I have to work on the strength and technique of that. For box jumps, I've scaled back to the 12" box because when I jumped up to 18" before, I've always managed to fall or get into my head and leave the class crying. For now, I'm sticking to 12" and learning to jump on and off (I usually jump on and step off). I plan on working my way to 18", but it will take time and mental toughness for me. I just HATE box jumps!

My crowning glory tonight were knees to elbows. Just six months ago I could barely hold on to the bar, let alone get my knees anywhere near my body. (In truth, my knees did not touch my elbows, but they did reach somewhere below my bust). Tonight I was able to hold on to the bar, do my version of knees to elbows, and do all ten reps without stopping. WOOT! (insert me doing a fancy dance) Even Eric was impressed because he remembered how bad I was at doing them. What's even better is that worked on my hip movements to help me prepare for the kipping pull up.

Yeah. On the goal board, I wrote that my goal was 1 kipping pull-up by 3/1/2010. Let's hope I get this right.

The major difference tonight was the grip! Taping the bar makes a total difference. I don't care what Freddy says. I do know that I plan on buying tape and taping my bar each time I work on the pull-ups. The tape makes gripping easier. Also, I didn't have any problems with callouses.

I give major kudos to Eric because tonight I was such a whiney, heavy breathing bitch. (Oddly, I was actually better than usual. ha ha!) However, I don't think I was nearly as bad as this guy (see below). Yeah. Don't let those hot abs fool you. Even Mr. Ninja Assassin himself is a whiner during a WOD!

No comments: