Wednesday, December 16, 2009

meeting grok


Recently, I went to Mark Sisson’s nutrition seminar at Catalyst Athletics. I saw Chris and Rita there, but was surprised that more One Worlders didn’t show up. Note: I got my book signed. Woot! But I spaced out and forgot to have my photo taken with Mark. Boo! I had the greatest photo opp too since I was one of the first ones there. Double boo!

I’m a Primal fan (thanks to Gladys) and have now decided to commit to it (as best as I can). I learned a lot in the seminar. For example, to help conquer going primal, I’m going to tackle the big monster first, which is eliminating grains. Yes. That means no bread, baked goods, pasta, rice, etc. I know. No cupcakes. (Tears.) From there, I’ll get to the nitty gritty details. For now, we’re focusing on no grains.

What I like about going primal is that Sisson has an 80/20 ratio. He says that you should aim to go primal 80% of the time, which allows you a 20% cheat. Therefore, I don’t have to give up cupcakes completely. I can have one every now and again. Whew! He also allows this cheat because eating should be enjoyable and easy to follow. Uh, yeah. Take that zoners!

Since I arrived early, I was able to have a lengthy conversation with this nutritionist I met there. I think her name was Janelle or Janine. She runs her own nutrition advising business near Lake Tahoe. She also gave some very encouraging advice about nutrition.

I’ve been thinking of going primal for a while now and have been making slow, but sure changes. First off, I’ve cut down on rice a lot! It’s a big thing for me because I’m Filipino! I’ve also cut down on coffee and drink mostly tea. I haven’t let got of dairy, but have cut down on my cheese intake. I’ll say that these small changes are what led to my good numbers at my last health check.

Another thing I decided after going to the seminar is to hold off on the half marathon in February. It’s just too damn cold to train and as Sisson points out, the body just wasn’t meant for that kind of endurance. I think I’ll do the Kaiser 5k instead. I know my body can do that with not a lot of intense training.

The road to getting back on track is slow, but sure. Cheers!

Warm-up
Run 400 meters
Row 500 meters
Ball games...

CrossFit One World WOD
Perform three minutes of shoulder press for max reps. Rest three minutes. Perform three minutes of push press for max reps. Rest three minutes. Perform three minutes of push jerk for max reps. If you rack the weight or rest longer than three seconds during any of the three attempts, you must do three burpees before starting up again. Your score is total reps for all three movements. Weight for women is 45#. (Note: I did five squats instead of three burpees.)

Joanne's Final Count - 29/37/33 = 99 total reps

Notes (to myself) about this workout: Monday's WOD really did a number on me. My entire upper body is sore. In fact, I'm not sure how I was able to dress up in gym clothes considering I could barely reach my back or over my head. I had a very good reason for not showing up tonight, but I did anyway despite my own resistance. The WOD wasn't bad. Thing is, with being uber sore, Eric allowed me to sub the three burpees for five squats. Bless your soul Eric. I knew this WOD would put me over the edge in soreness, but I hoped that it would also help shake off some of that lactic acid. Er. Um. I was wrong. I'm definitely taking a day off tomorrow. Woot!

3 comments:

Gladys said...

that's awesome that he was able to inspire you to cut out all the grains! go, girl! i'm still at the stage of trying to nudge them out by eating a lot more of the good stuff (veggies, meat, fruits). and now i'm afraid my kid is addicted to rice himself, as he asks for it every time he's hungry. "rice? rice?" i didn't meant to do that to him! but what can i say? it must be his filipino genes manifesting themselves, hehe.

j-ro said...

Thanks Gladys!

Um, I've been inspired, but it's still a lot of work that I haven't been as successful at. (For example, the cupcake I had today.... It was my first cupcake I've had in a LONG time. That counts for something, right?!)

I still eat rice, but only if I'm at a Japanese restaurant and these days I can barely take a full cup of rice.

Finally, big apologies to you, Miss Gladys. On the drive back home from the seminar, I realized that I should have bought a copy of the book for you and had it autographed! I think I was side-tracked because I actually got to talk to Mark for a little bit. From there, I got to talk to a nutritionist and well, I guess I went stupid from there. Please know that I totally meant to get you an autographed copy!

In case you're interested in buying a copy, get it on amazon because it's less than $18!

Miss you!

Gladys said...

that's ok; it's totally understandable since you got to talk to mark! thanks for thinking of me. that's actually a great price for the book and i think i will go ahead and get it. i've had it on my mind a lot lately.

also, that is GREAT improvement if you don't feel like eating a lot of rice at one time. and hey, one cupcake in a long while definitely fits into the 80/20 rule, right? i've noticed too that i now get repulsed by certain foods, things that i know are just chock-full of corn ingredients and canola/corn oil. ugh. i think mark's blog has been really excellent in explaining how some of that stuff gets made. i just wish grass-fed meat was more available where i live!

hugs! miss you too!