Tuesday, December 01, 2009

enough of this bullshit!

Beauty is always on my mind. It's the nature of my research. However, you can imagine the outrage when my dear friend Lori posted information about this story. A former Miss Argentina died recently due to complications from plastic surgery. I'm sure you all remember the big hoopla when it was announced that Donda West, the mother of Kanye West, passed away from similar circumstances. I write in frustration, with a hard lump in my throat, and with the strength of a thousand horses that will keep me from throwing a chair out the window right about now. It really pains me to hear stories like this - where perfectly wonderful women put themselves under the knife, and ultimately pay the highest price for it.

In no way am I judging people who go under the knife. In a free market economy, do as you please. But I do urge you to weigh your options and consider the consequences. Sometimes surgery can get out of hand and atrocious things like this happen.

With that, I'd like to propose something to you (yes, all five of you who actually read and follow this blog. ha ha!). Sometime in either mid December or after the new year, I would like to host a screening of America the Beautiful, a documentary by Darryl Roberts at my home in Union City. My roomie has a projection screen and our living room is big enough where we can have about 15 or so people in the house. Nothing spectacular. Just a small screening. Some delicious eats (I'll provide some goodies and encourage you to do the same). With some good company. This film isn't just for women. Bring the guys along. Bring the kids along. We can watch. Discuss. Eat. Be merry and aware.

This is a serious offer. If you're interested, please post to comments or email me directly: jlrondilla@yahoo.com. Let's make this happen!

Finally, I'd like you to check out the Darryl Roberts blog. He often posts stories related to beauty obsession and the things we can do to create better images - in the media and for oneself. Enjoy!

P.S. I highly encourage you all to invest in the film for only $25. You can throw similar parties too (as encouraged by the filmmaker). If you live near my neck of the woods and want to host, I'll consider allowing you to borrow my copy (but if you lose it, you have to give me a pint of your blood and hand over your retirement savings).

No comments: