Tuesday, April 21, 2009

go bears!

You can love being a Cal bear. But you don't have to LOVE being a Cal bear, ya know?! I guess I don't get the whole school pride thing because I went to UCSB for my undergrad. Our mascot was the gaucho. So in the event I ever have a kid, please know that I have no intention of naming her/him Santa or Barbara or Gaucho or South American cowboy (in case you were wondering what the hell a gaucho is). I will say that as a current UC Berkeley grad student, Cal kids are a completely different breed. They sleep, eat, live, and breathe the bear life - for life. Take for instance our very own Chong. He and Mel just had a baby boy (wa-hoo! Congrats!) and named him CALlan. His nickname is "Bear." All I have to say is Grrrah! Grrrah! This WOD's for you, baby bear! (And in the event you end up going to Stanford, just know I have no intention of holding that against you. For the record, a tree is a totally boring mascot. Most people pee on trees.)

Warm-up
Coming in late, chatting away, and only rowing 48 meters just so I could catch up with the class.
Prep for the WOD

CrossFit One World WOD: "Little Bear"
Complete the following for time. All exercises are performed with the same weight 45#:
40 deadlifts
40 hang power cleans
40 front squats
40 press, push press
40 back squats
40 press, push press
Everytime you take your hands off the bar or put the bar back on the ground (not counting the deadlifts of course), you must do 10 Abmat situps

*** What My "Little Bear" looked like with the Abmat Sit-ups ***
40 deadlifts
20 hang power cleans
* 10 Abmat situps
20 hang power cleans
* 10 Abmat situps
20 front squats
* 10 Abmat situps
20 front squats
* 10 Abmat situps
20 push press
* 10 Abmat situps
20 push press
* 10 Abmat situps
20 back squats
* 10 Abmat situps
20 back squats
* 10 Abmat situps
40 push press

Joanne's Final Time - 23:11

Notes (to myself) about this workout: Don't tell anyone this, but I was totally looking forward to this WOD. It was tough, but I like WODs like this because they're challenging and frustrating at the same time. I did it RX'd at 45#, which was tough. Everything is fine until you get to the push press. I didn't realize how weak I was with the overhead stuff. Bleh. Those sections made the squats difficult. I'm glad we had the abmat break. That was really useful and made it more manageable that the actual Bear WOD.

No comments: