Monday, April 13, 2009

bday WOD

This is Laura a.k.a. "Miss Sick Abs." She celebrated a birthday today by participating in her very own birthday WOD that was designed by Mr. Chong a.k.a. "I can make your WOD miserable." As you can see, it was a fantastic WOD. (insert a healthy dose of sarcasm here)

This is Cheryl a.k.a. "Girl Crush" (sorry folks, "Gun Show" just isn't a cute enough nickname for her). Her birthday was also today. Yup, a CrossFit double whammy. I did my very best to skip the WOD all together (I'll explain why a little later). However, after receiving her text message, I knew I couldn't back down. I'll continue the story in a bit.

Warm-up
Bitching and moaning that I have to do this WOD. fathlete confession: No one has to do the WOD if they don't want to. However, I was scared that Cheryl would choke hold me if I didn't. Not that I would mind. I just wasn't in the mood for that kind of "play." ha ha!

CrossFit One World WOD: Happy Birthday Cheryl & Laura
For Time:
Run 800 meters
30 jumping pull-ups
30 burpees
Row 1000 meters
30 jumping pull-ups
30 burpees
Run 800 meters

Joanne's Final Time - 30:31

Notes (to myself) about this workout: This WOD was a team WOD. Therefore, the entire team couldn't move on to the next exercise until the last person (a.k.a. ME) was done with the movement. For example, after the run, no one was allowed to do the pull-ups until everyone was done with the run. Ya feel me?! The great thing about the WOD was that if you absolutely couldn't finish your set, someone else in the team would pick up your reps. Again, for example, if I just COULD NOT do another burpee and I had ten left, then someone would have to do my ten in order for the team to move on. Got it? 

Naturally, this WOD totally sucked for me because it made me revert back to those middle school days where I would be poked fun at for always coming in last. Okay. The CrossFitters at One World aren't like that. But when you grow up with that fat feeling, it's something you can't really shake off.

I'm the first to admit that I'm a whiney bitch about everything. I really didn't intend to do the WOD, but when Girl Crush says you gotta do it, you can't really say no. As I'm changing into workout gear, I realize that I freakin' forgot my shoes! WHAAAT?! fathlete confession: I thought this was the PERFECT way to get out of the WOD. fathlete reality: It so didn't work!
So what did I end up doing?! I did the WOD in my SOCKS! That's right! I ran 800 meters on the road/pavement TWICE in my SOCKS! Did you see the photo?! That ain't no joke, man! The crew said that I did the WOD Island Style. Um. I was just trying to not get in trouble!

So how was training in socks? I'd never run or row again in them. In fact, I wouldn't do it unless I had to. I kept slipping at the pull-ups and burpees. The strap kept coming loose at the row and running on the road just sucks because there's no cushion and you have to dodge little pebbles. Bleh.

But it's over. I did it. Happy birthday Cheryl and Laura!

P.S. A very big thank you to Mike for coming back to finish the run with me. I totally owe you some food.

1 comment:

maria said...

Hi J-Ro!
Cheryl said you should show the pic of her in the hot pink outfit! Okay...she actually said that you should show me the pic. I'd love to see you post it on your blog! If not. Please show me the next time we see each other!