Monday, July 26, 2010

the knot has been tied

I wanted to send out a BIG CONGRATULATIONS to my dear friend Ana and her now husband Marco on their recent nuptials. Ana and I have known each other since high school. We went to UCSB together where we lived together for many years. Currently, we're at Berkeley (in different departments). Long story short, I've known this woman and her family for a LONG time. We've seen each other through many growing pains. Naturally, when she told me she was getting married and asked me to do her wedding makeup, I totally jumped at the chance. It was a beautiful wedding and it was so great to see her family again. I also realized that it had been a LONG time since I've seen her family!

One of my most memorable moments of the wedding was when this young woman approached me and said, "Joanne, do you remember me?" Confused and embarrassed, I responded, "No." The young woman then said, "It's me, Jasmine!" OMG. The last time I saw Jasmine, Ana's youngest sister, was when she was about five years old. Um, she's seventeen now. Another memorable moment was seeing Ana's father, who drove the u-haul when we moved into our apartment during our sophomore year in college. He looked at me and said, "You haven't aged in the last fifteen years or so. You look exactly the same as you did the day I drove the u-haul to Santa Barbara!" Vitamin C, everyone. I swear by vitamin C...

Today's Small Victories
Today is the day I have officially stopped skipping rope like a little girl! For the record, I still cannot do a double under. However, I feel like I'm one step closer to getting it because I figured out how to jump rope like an adult. Usually, I skip rope doing this double hop thing. It makes jumping rope really slow and double unders nearly impossible. Tonight I FINALLY learned how to eliminate the double hop. This has taken me AGES to figure out! I was also able to jump rope more consecutively than I had before. (I'm notorious for the rope jamming up on me.) WOOT!

Warm-up
Quick weight warm-up.

CrossFit One World WOD
Strength:
Front Squat 5x3 (as if 5 rounds, 3 reps) 95#

Press 5/3/1/1/1
45/65/75/80(f)/80(f)/77(f)

"Annie Amateur": 50-40-30-20-10 reps for time of unanchored Abmat sit-ups and double unders. (Note: at the 30 count round, I decided to anchor my feet.)

Joanne's Final Time - 15:41

Notes (to myself) about this workout: I'm still out of shape. However, I liked that I sort of "eased" into this WOD. I didn't hit a PR on the press, but I'm okay with that. Besides, I'm still reeling from the jump rope. Yippee!

No comments: