Tuesday, July 13, 2010

the beauty bias

I just finished reading this book: The Beauty Bias: The Injustice of Appearance in Life and Law by Deborah L. Rhode. It's an academic book (just warning you in case you were planning on taking this to the beach thinking it was summer reading). If you want to see a review, click here. Though it's an academic book, I thought it was easy to read. However, the information is overwhelming. When laid out the way the author does it, you really see how beauty and appearance matters - in relationships, in the workplace, etc. Rhode covers everything from racial to body discrimination. Her focus is law, but she speaks in cultural and lifestyle terms as well (or um, as best as she can). The book also shows how beauty is so standardized - GLOBALLY. Hence, why, for example, Asian women all over the world are running to their nearest plastic surgeon for eyelid surgery. It's almost depressing. There's a lot to say, but I'll end here and leave more riveting conversation about this between you, me, and a cup of coffee.

Today's Small Victories
Still going strong in the good eating department. Oh fresh veggies, how could I have possibly neglected you all this time?!

Warm-up
10 rounds of 100 meter row with 10 second rest in between. The goal is to beat your time from the previous round. I was consistently between 25 to 26 seconds. Yea me!

CrossFit One World WOD
Strength:
3 reps of deadlift (155#) on the minute for 10 minutes. You are going for explosive speed on all three lifts, but keep the form TIGHT!!!

Conditioning:
Complete as many rounds as you can in 15 minutes of:
5 jumping pull-ups
10 box step-ups (12")
15 AbMat sit-ups

Joanne's Final Count - 9 rounds + 10 box step-ups

Notes (to myself) about this workout: I think I did something between 8-9 rounds. I lost count somewhere. Maybe I did 10? I'm sure I did at least 8 or 9. I'll stick with 9...

I'm still sore from last night, which is why I had to modify a lot tonight. For example, I was supposed to lift 165# for the deadlift. However, my back just wasn't having it. Instead of actual box jumps, I did box step-ups. I started with the jumps, but I could feel how heavy my legs were weighing me down. It hurts to go upstairs. Bleh. I'm feeling out of shape. However, the only way to survive this is to keep working out. I just need to re-train my body again. Soon enough the WODs won't be so devilish.

1 comment:

linda said...

very very informative post