Tuesday, May 26, 2009

graduation celebration

I was MIA last week Thursday because my dear friend Christina A. was celebrating her graduation from Cal. I'm sending mad props to her because she's a re-entry student and a mom of five. To graduate from Cal with those odds is a big thing and I'm really happy for her accomplishments and the love and support her hubby Cliff and her kids have given her along the way. Christina totally rocks! Congratulations!

In other fathlete news, I've been doing a lot of soul searching lately. Oddly enough, this article was posted on yahoo recently. "8 Toxic personalities to avoid" basically lays out the kinds of people who aren't healthy for you. This has been on my mind a lot because my tolerance for bullshit people wears thinner and thinner as I get older. (And let's face it, I'm no spring chicken, here!) The article reminds me of the various people and personalities in my life and what I need to do to get rid of excess crap. Hmph. Have any of you dealt with toxic people? If so, how does one deal with that? 

Warm-up
Run 400 meters
stretching
prep for the WOD

CrossFit One World WOD
This is a two person workout. One person will complete one whole round of work while the other rests. They then will switch for a total of seven rounds of work completed by each partner. One round is:

250m Row
7 power cleans 73#
Your partner will write down your total time for each round. Final score is scored individually by adding the total time of all seven rounds.

Joanne's Series Time - 2:05/1:55/1:57/1:56/1:50/1:57/1:54
Joanne's Total Time - 13:34

Notes (to myself) about this workout: I actually liked this WOD because you were able to "rest" in between and regroup. That was really helpful. I'm not very good at the power clean and I believe my max on them is 93#. I have no idea what Freddy was smoking by putting the women's RX'd weight at 135#. Even "Girl Crush" Cheryl T. had to scale down. Also, most of the guys did the women's weight. Dang!

Anyway... 73# for a WOD like this was good for me. I think I'll bump it up about 5# or 10# the next time we do it. Other than the rest, another good thing about this WOD was that you could progressively strategize to beat your previous time. For example, I eventually figured out that I needed to row at a below 210/500 meters rate to beat two minutes. On round six, I could have done faster, but I dropped the weight because I got over excited. The same thing happened in round seven. Overall, I'm pretty happy with today's performance.

No comments: