Tuesday, October 26, 2010

zombie killers and other stuff...

First off, I want to give a big shout out to my dear friend Alex C. His most recent post caught the attention of Diane Sanfilippo (pictured on the left), the woman who runs a website called Balanced Bites: Real Food for Real People. Diane linked Alex's post on her facebook page for her legions of followers to admire. Yea Alex! Of course, you should read the post, as it pays homage to the strong and sexy.

Speaking of which, I highly recommend you all check out Balanced Bites. It's a very helpful site that promotes the paleo lifestyle. In particular, I recommend you invest in downloading the Sugar Detox Manual that the site offers. Her guides are very helpful in laying out an eating plan that incorporates good, sustainable, wholesome food. While everyone has health gurus they admire, I'd have to say that I'm a fan of Balanced Bites and Mark's Daily Apple. Since you've heard me rave about MDA, I'll focus on BB. One of my favorite things about BB is that she is local, so a lot of her posts address ways of eating that are bay area specific. In fact, you might like this post on fast cheap eats in San Francisco.

Today's Small Victories
I made it to the gym!

Warm-up
Run 800 meters

CrossFit One World WOD
Strength:
3 deadlifts on the minute every minute for 10 minutes 165#

Conditioning:
Complete the following for time:
Row 1000m
2 kettlebell swings (35#)/10 burpees
Row 800m
4 kettlebell swings/8 burpees
Row 600m
6 kettlebell swings/6 burpees
Row 400m
8 kettlebell swings/4 burpees
Row 200m
10 kettlebell swings/2 burpees

Joanne's Final Time - 21:27

Notes (to myself) about this workout: Technically, I was supposed to go heavier on the deadlift. Since I'm not as consistent about the lifting, I shaved off some weight. And I'm glad I did because the deadlift usually kills me. Also, I was following Angela's lead because she went about 30# lighter than me, claiming that it had to be lighter because we were doing 30 reps. Yea.

For conditioning, though I was probably one of the slower times of the day, I did do it rx'd. Also, I was really proud of my rowing pace because overall, I averaged 2:22/500 meters, well under my goal of 2:30/500 meters. Not bad for a shorty! fathlete confession: though this was a killer WOD, I kinda liked it!

2 comments:

Diane @ Balanced Bites said...

Wow, thanks for the shout-out :) Glad you have you on-board as a reader.

Diane @ Balanced Bites

j-ro said...

No problem! I'm glad I found your site!