Sunday, February 01, 2009

more snatches

Right now, I'd like to formally declare that any reference to the snatch from here on out will no longer be followed by inappropriate and dirty snickers. A snatch is an Olympic weightlifting movement that I can't seem to nail. So until I can formulate a bona fide sense of humor about it, a snatch is simply an oly lift. Period.

Here are some demos of the snatch. This first one is the snatch balance (my personal favorite of the bunch).


This is the power snatch:


This is the hang power snatch:


Last week we did the snatch in Jason's class. Today we still worked on that. I'm glad 'cuz I totally suck at it. Right now, I still suck. I just suck less. My max so far is 53#. Last week I didn't go past 35#, so to go up almost 20# was a gift. I kept trying to get that 63# weight up, but I just couldn't.

When I started taking the Oly weight lifting class, I just wanted to do the movement. I'm not concerned about pulling big numbers, but I'm finding that it's a natural desire. Well, not necessarily pulling big numbers, but lifting at almost your max. Coaches have a better sense of what you can lift, and Jason thinks I can lift a lot more than I think I can. (I think Eric would probably agree.) I will say that I really like getting to know the different lifts. Jason usually goes through two lifts. Personally, I don't mind spending the hour on just one lift. We'll see how the next classes go!

BIG THANKS to Jason, Maria, Alex and John for cheering me on today.

2 comments:

Gladys said...

this post makes me want to visit you and work out together. i miss lifting when i read your posts.

j-ro said...

Well, if you're in the area, you can always drop in for $20 (i think that's what they're charging now). The class is Sundays at 9am. I'd love to see you there and learn some tricks from the pro.