Sunday, November 21, 2010

ode to young coconut


In case you haven't guessed, I was totally inspired by this post and decided to reclaim the coconut. (Note: I stopped paying attention to the coconut in high school when I discovered that "fat makes you fat." Now I now better!) I'm a HUGE fan of the coconut. I'm from Guam. It's in the blood. However, I've also witnessed first hand how beneficial it is to add young coconut to your diet. (If you don't want to take my word for it, check out this article from MDA.) While living in the Philippines, my mother drank young coconut juice every day. It was accessible and cheap (we're talking less than fifty cents for young coconut juice that was placed in a plastic bag complete with the meat inside - no sugar added!). My mom is always swollen and while we were in the Philippines, the swelling was minimal. She attributes this to the coconut juice. In fact, coconut has a ton of uses - both for cooking and non-cooking. Currently, I eat about 4-5 young coconuts per week, usually after a tough WOD. It's very refreshing and coconut water is nature's version of gatorade. Plus, the meat makes me feel like I'm having dessert without all the guilt. You can buy young coconuts at your local Asian grocery store for under $2.

Friday, Nov 19th
Today's Small Victories
I didn't mean to show up to the box. But with my challenge going on, I have to be strategic about making sure I hit my 30 workouts in 30 days. This meant having to go to the box. I fought it tooth and nail, but I decided the challenge was more important than lying in my warm bed watching TV.

Today's Workout
One hour of yoga in the morning. And then...

CrossFit One World WOD
Complpete five rounds for time of:
10 squat snatches 33#
20 wall balls 10#; 10ft. shot

Joanne's Final Time - 17:33

Notes (to myself) about this workout: I failed to stay for belly dance this morning because my shoulder just wasn't agreeing with me during yoga. This was another reason why I opted to workout tonight. Let's face it. Tonight just wasn't my night. I had to scale the scaled version of the WOD! It's been ages since I've done the snatch and my left side just couldn't shrug 53#, so I just went for the bar. It was good practice, but I felt like a schmuck going so light. Gah. Don't get me started on those damn wall balls! Originally, I was going to do 30 wall balls per round. However, it didn't take long to figure out how much those things suck. Usually, I do 14# for the wall ball, but only hit the 8' mark. I've decided to go lighter and hit the 10' mark. I'll then go heavier as I progress. My shoulders are still tight, so is the back of my right leg. I'm not sure if it's because it's been so cold or if it's because I'm getting old. Bleh!

No comments: