Monday, October 26, 2009

obsessions

fathlete confession: Lately I've been obsessed with a few things....

1) The new Journey: Live In Manila DVD. I finally got to see it from beginning to end this weekend. Woot! Truth be told, I love Arnel Pineda. However, I love Deen Castronovo almost as much. A drummer with pipes? Who doesn't love that?! For the record, John Taylor will always be my first love. I know he's old, but I'd still be willing to carry his love child.

2) Catching up on Burn Notice. Thank heaven for TV on DVD! I would declare my love for Jeffrey Donovan, but he's a little skinny for my taste. (I can't love someone I want to feed a burger to.) I adore Gabrielle Anwar and am infatuated with the Michael and Fiona bizarre love thing on the show. However, I want to feed her a burger too.

3) Monggo beans.

4) Mark's Daily Apple.

With respect to MDA, I've decided to go primal or semi-primal. Out of all the CrossFit-approved diets, I think I like primal the best. It's going to be a challenge, but I think I'm up for it. For me, it's not about losing weight, it's about transitioning to better eating and getting off the diabetes meds. I think I can do it. It will take time and discipline, but I know I can do it. I'm focusing on adding things to my diet as opposed to taking things away. For example, I'm trying to make sure I eat fruits and veggies at every meal. I'm trying to make small changes, one step at a time. Like today, I wasn't 100% primal, but I think I did a good job. The agreement I'm making with myself is that I'm only going to be positive. No beating myself up if I'm not a "good" girl. I'll let you know how it works.

Of the many things I love about MDA, it's the articles he writes. I think he's very realistic about what he recommends and I like the topics he brings up. For example, I love this one on Diet and Depression. He says that excessive sugar can take a toll on one's mood. I get it. (Personally, the sugary sweetness of a red velvet cupcake makes me happy, so I'm not sure if I 100% agree. ha ha!) Take a look at it if you have the chance. Wanna know what made me laugh? This comment:
About a year ago, when I was vegan, I was often either depressed, over anxious, or just plain grouchy. Ever since I added meat back to my diet (in large amounts, about a pound of meat and sometimes up to 6 eggs a day plus I eat %65 animal fat and fish fat, 25% protein and 10% carbs) and eat around 50 carbs a day, from veggies and fruit, with the occasional 88% dark chocolate, my mood is generally on the lighter side. I find that I’m just happier and more likely to joke with people and not take the hard things so hard. I once took antidepressants, but now I’m sure I’ll never need them again, funny how that just sorted itself out when I went back to the true original human diet. I love it!

If you know me, my meat-loving ways, and my theories on vegans, you'd find this funny to. Laugh all you want. hahahaha!

Warm-up
Run 800 meters

CrossFit One World WOD

Skills Day: Pull-ups with the band.

Notes (to myself) about this workout: I meant to do "Angie" today. But then in dawned on me.... Why the hell would I do "Angie" on a rest day?! I'm glad I did the skills stuff. My hands are ugly, but I at least know how to develop my strength for the pull-up. It was different using the band. I used the band a long time ago and it didn't do anything for me. Now, the technique is different and I'm looking forward to more practice.

No comments: