Wednesday, December 08, 2010

nerdy things to do

Me and la familia at the Oakland
Museum of California.
I'm not a mom and my biological clock isn't exactly ticking. However, I am a very active aunt and I'm always trying to think of different ways of educating, yet entertaining the kiddos in the family. Yeah. I'm that aunt. I'm not big on giving toys and sweets for Christmas. Instead, I've been known to give books (such as ethnic story books) and movie tickets to the kiddies. I'm sure they hate me now. But when they grow up, they can at least tell all their friends that they had an aunt to tried to keep them informed in the midst of a society that rewards stupidity.

Anyway... my cousin and her kids (age 10 and 12) visited for Thanksgiving. Instead of staying in and playing video games, I suggested we check out Pixar: 25 Years of Animation at the Oakland Museum of California. Dude, it was soooo cool! There were tons of kids there and they were totally jazzed at seeing the exhibit. If you haven't been by, I highly recommend you go. It's bart-able too! They also have other exhibits such as the interactive Gallery of California History going on. In fact, I want to go back and see this one in more detail. Again, very educational, cool, and kid-friendly.

Speaking of exhibits, I'm really interested in checking out the Body Worlds Vital exhibit at the San Jose Tech museum. Um, any takers? We can watch Harry Potter on IMAX afterward! (As you can see, I make a great date. Hence, my perpetual state of singledom!)

Monday, December 6th
1 hour of yoga. And then...

CrossFit One World WOD
Complete the following for time:
10 dumbbell press 20#
1 long shuttle (5yd/10yd/15yd)
10 dumbbell push press
1 long shuttle
10 dumbbell push jerk
1 long shuttle
10 dumbbell press
30 yard bear crawl
10 dumbbell push press
30 yard bear crawl
10 dumbbell push jerks
30 yard bear crawl

Joanne's Final Time - 6:07

And then... Tabata Squats. My lowest round was 12 squats

Notes (to myself) about this workout: I like yoga and feel like I'm getting better at it. The downfall is that I've had more yoga "injuries" than CrossFit injuries lately. There's something about the way yoga pulls at certain muscles. At CrossFit, I discovered a little tweak in my shoulder. Boo! For the WOD, I wanted to do 25# as rx'd, but I scaled back because my shoulder was tweaked. Gah!

Tuesday, December 7th
CrossFit One World WOD
Complete seven rounds for time of:
7 pull-ups (band assisted)
7 push-ups (on knees)
150m row

Joanne's Final Time - 12:37 (?)

And then... Stretching

Notes (to myself) about this workout: I was aiming to finish this in 14 minutes and was glad I accomplished that. I also used the band assisted pull-ups which made me the slowest in the class. What took long was actually getting into the band. I still feel out of control in them. I'm going to try using just the large blue band and tough it out that way. Gah!

No comments: