Thursday, May 05, 2011

what does a runner look like?

For the record, Run Fatboy Run is one of my favorite movies EVER! I have no idea why I don't have the Blu-Ray yet. As mentioned before, I had major blister problems when I trained for Maui in 2005. This scene just cracks me up. Yes, my blisters on both feet were comparable to the one you see in this clip.

Today, my dear friend Lori sent me a link to this message board where they were discussing the age-old question: What does a runner look like? The person who started the thread shared an experience at her local running store where a sales girl said, "Wow. You don't look like a runner." When you get the chance, take a peek. It's a riveting read.

I'd like to stand on my soapbox and rant about such a bullshit question. What does a runner look like? If I referred to Runner's World magazine, I'm sure that someone like me would be far from being a runner. But you know what? I'm fat and I run. If you have a problem with it, you can suck my blister shield-soaked toe! If I were the woman on the message board, I would have told the sales lady, "I don't know what a runner is supposed to look like. But now I know what an asshole looks like!" (That's my short answer. Deep breath. Continuing...)

These days I'm trying to be less mad and more productive. (Sometimes it works, more times, it doesn't. I'm trying, folks!) With that, I'd like to leave you with some pearls of wisdom from John Bingham. His book, The Courage to Start is what inspired me to start running. Here it goes:
If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.
-John Bingham, Runner and author

Today's Small Victories
I ran another 5K!

Today's Workout
Run 5K with Lynn and Israel

Notes (to myself) about this workout: I felt good after this run. However, I'm still trying to find my footing with running. At the end of each run, I feel winded and irritated because I get tired too easily. And then I get disappointed because I know I can run better, but I'm just not hitting it like I like to. I think I need to backtrack and go back to interval running - 4 minutes on, 1 minute off. I also need to have a more consistent training schedule that includes weight training. Of course, dial in the nutrition. Finally, patience. I need some patience...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've had a ridiculously stressful and chaotic week and its not over BUT waking up and reading your post and seeing the clip made me laugh (and throw up a bit). Even when you're not trying...I find myself consoled by you. When my knee is in better shape (getting there), I want to run with you!!!! You're such an inspiration!

Unknown said...

I've had an incredibly stressful and chaotic week (and its far from over) but waking up and reading your blog and watching the clip (and throwing up a bit) made me laugh. Working on strength training and rehab because I would love to go running with you! You're such an inspiration and even when you're not trying and dont' know it, you console me. :) xoxo

j-ro said...

Hey D! Many thanks! I hope you're hanging in there. I can't wait til our girls trip to the Fluevog store on Saturday. Woot!

You MUST watch Run Fatboy Run. It's ridiculously funny (yes, I tend to like British humor).

Yes, I'd love to run with you. Please note that I'm a really SLOW runner:)

See you soon! xoxo