Thursday, April 24, 2008

re-start

I admit it. I've been lazy. Since moving to Makati I've hit the gym just once. That's really bad considering I like to go at least four times a week. The Philippine summer has just gotten under my skin. I can sweat buckets just sitting in my living room with no electric fan. I hate that feeling. Walking to the gym is uncomfortable because it's so hot. I feel like I'd handle the heat a lot better if the pollution wasn't so bad. I think that's what makes the heat uncomfortable -that I know I'm getting dirty at the same time. It just makes me feel - EW!

Anyway... I'm on Guam right now. At first, I thought I'd try getting some interviews in and such. However, I've decided that I'm not going to. I haven't been here in almost 20 years and in seven days I need to just soak in being "home." On Saturday there's a 5K race going on. I'm not prepared to run, but I'll walk it with my cousin Dodie while his wife Sol runs the race.

I've been wanting to get into running again - nothing more than a half marathon. I think that's all my body can really take. Besides, I miss the training and the instant tan I get. Though I don't love running, I like what it teaches me. I like how it challenges me.

So to get into the spirit of running, I ordered (and it will be shipped to my sis's house in Cali) the new Nike SportBand. For years I've been debating about getting the ipod nano for the NikePlus capabilities. However, I'm just not a nano person. If you're gonna buy an ipod, I say do the regualr ipod and the shuffle. Call me vain, but when I run, I'm not big on tan marks so one less nano tan mark is just good news to me. For that, I'm all about the shuffle. So yes, I invested in the SportBand (thank heaven it comes with a sensor).

I'm not a Nike shoe fan, but there are attachments you can buy such as the Shoe Pouch so you can use the Nike sensor on non-Nike shoes. Rumor has it that the sensor works best on Nike shoes. But I'm gonna stick to my own Brooks, thanks.

So wish me luck for when I get back. I've decided to be forgiving with my body. To be okay with the exercise I am and am not doing. I think I'm eating better and am maintaining my health as best as I can. I'm just not getting the exercise I want to get in. This is temporary and that's okay. But when I get back to Cali, all that changes. The running resumes. The CrossFit resumes. And I get my fathletics on. Bring it!

No comments: