Monday, January 12, 2009

CrossFit One World WOD

I lifted this from Steph's blog. I know it's a lame excuse, but this is why I don't mind not knowing how to do a pull-up. Check out these CrossFit hands! I haven't had hands this bad. Hell, I bitch and moan about a small callous because it's just gross and not good for my cosmetics job. (Eric, I don't give a shit about what you say. It's unprofessional for me to have ugly hands.) The bigger issue is that it just really hurts and makes it hard to get through the next week of workouts. UGH! But I have to suck it up and learn the damn pull-up. I'm not close to mastering it, but I'm glad I can kind of do a knee-to-elbow movement. Wa-hoo!

Here is some friendly advice from Freddy about how to handle the callous situation:
Tearing from pull-ups can be avoided if you follow some simple guidelines:

1) Cut the chalk! Notice how white Doug's hands are. All that chalk is not helping your pull-ups and is not going to make your grip stronger. Chalk serves a purpose, to dry the hands so you can get better grip. I occasionally put a little chalk on my hands, then I make sure to rub my hands together until I no longer see any chalk. My hands are then dry, and I can grip the bar. When you heavily chalk your hands, your hands stick to the bar. You start kipping and all that violent movement transfers to your hands. If your hands don't slide a little you tear. People with a very pronounced kip tear even more when they use excessive amounts of chalk. I often hear people say that they have to chalk heavily because they sweat profusely through their hands. Try drying them with a towel and then lightly chalking them as I described.

2) Take care of your callouses! Look at Doug's hands. He has torn at all his callouses. If you are building up huge callouses on your hands, at some point they are going to tear. Knock those callouses down! You can use a nail file, cuticle cutters, or my favorite: a Dremel tool with a grinding stone on it. Jolie turned me on to this good advice: buy a good pumice stone and use it on your callouses in the shower when your callouses are warm and soft. And don't forget- your significant other will appreciate the fact that your hands do not feel like a cheese grater when you give him/her a massage!

3) Practice pull-ups with no kip! Dead hang pull-ups are an excellent way to build the strength to do pull-ups without a violent kip and make your kipping pull-up more proficient.
By the way, I finally updated the left hand column this weekend. A while back I wanted to change the formatting of this blog. Unfortunately, I lost all the original content that was on the left column. That's why it's been weird since then. However, I managed to find some of the material and I wrote up the rest. Additionally, I added some new things like links to other bloggers from One World and the story of how this blog came to be. I hope you enjoy the new stuff! As always, suggestions are totally welcome!

Warm-up
1 hour of yoga
Run 1.1 miles

WOD
Complete three rounds for time of:
10 Thrusters 53#
15 D-ball slams 12#

Joanne's Final Time - 6:23

And Then...
50 GHD Sit-ups
50 GHD Back Extensions
50 Abmat Sit-ups
(oops! I forgot to do the 100 twisters!)

Notes (to myself) about this workout:
I was pretty happy with my time on this one. I think next time I do this I'll go up to 60#. My goal is 65# on the thruster, which is what the RX'd weight is for "Fran."

No comments: